PDA

View Full Version : Blind Stealing...Critique my play please

10-30-2001, 08:55 AM
Limit holdem, $100-200 stage with $50-100 blinds. 2 tables remaining out of 165 entries, 20 places paid. Everyone started with $100T and I am 2nd or 3rd highest at my table with around $1500T. There was a lot of blind stealing at this juncture with hardly any flops being seen.

I'm in the cutoff and it is folded to me. I pick up Q-9 of spades and raise. Comments here?

Button folds, SB folds, BB ($800T) calls

Didn't really have any kind of a handle of what kind of player the BB was.

Flop: Q 2 8 rainbow

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

Turn: Q 2 8 (Q) now two hearts

BB checks; I bet; BB raises; I call

River: Q 2 8 Q (3 no heart)

BB goes all in for $100, I call

BB shows me Q-10 of diamonds.

Should I have considered checking behind when the Q hit the turn?

I did consider folding to his raise but couldn't bring myself laying down trips, although I was almost certain I was dominated. Did I create my own trap trying to steal the blinds from the cutoff with Q-9s in the first place?

All comments welcome.

Gene (holdemdude)

10-30-2001, 08:11 PM

10-31-2001, 12:39 AM
you could have checked behind on fourth street and hoped he would bluff on the river or call with a weaker hand. it just turned out he had you beat.

10-31-2001, 09:25 PM
I would have played it the same as you

10-31-2001, 10:55 PM
Stealing with Q9 is fine, as long as you can play well when they don't all fold.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

11-01-2001, 09:37 AM
Well then, how do you think I played the hand? I would appreciate your thoughts.

11-01-2001, 09:41 AM
Hard for me to say. I don't know the player, and wasn't there. I do know that I would have to be super-sure of my read to lay down your hand on the turn or river.

The option of checking the turn is a good one, however. If he has nothing, he can't call your bet anyway. This is a spot where you're either way ahead or way behind, so checking and hoping he'll bluff the river if he has nothing isn't a bad idea.

But, would he have called you on the turn with AK? Bad check if he would've paid you off.

That's why I'm not sure.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)