PDA

View Full Version : Big mistake or little one?

ravenight
11-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Here's the hand:

Late in a rebuy tourney about 90 left, 63 paid, blinds are 1k/2k with 100 ante. I have 30k left after posting SB. Big stack at the table is in the CO with 105k and limps. The button, with 24k, limps, I call the 1k with Jd9d, BB with 30k (after the bet) checks.

Flop is AdJh3h. I'm first to act, pot has about 9k in it. I lead out for 4k, figuring the BB will fold and the others are unlikely to have an A. The BB min-raises other two fold. So now i have ~25k in front of me, the BB just barely has me covered, it's 4k to me with 21k in the pot.

I usually believe min-raises mean extremely strong hands, but in this instance, I'm not sure what hand that could be - maybe A3 or J3, AJ is possible but I have a J, bigger aces he would have raised with preflop. A bigger J would warrant a bigger raise or no raise, I'd think. So my main thought is that he has a flush draw and maybe a pair and thinks I'm out of line. I've seen this guy make some timid raises before, but not what cards they represented.

What should I do here? If I call and don't improve on the turn do I check-fold? If I raise I assume all-in is the right amount. Did I already make a big mistake with my bet, so I should just cut my losses and fold?

niwotyalpi
11-19-2004, 11:03 PM
OK my analysis

Calling from the small blind was fine. Im not sure I like the bet on the flop from your position though. I think the bet here can be argued. In one sense, you are out of position with a shitty hand and are donating 4 K to anyone who really hit the flop. On the other hand the bet was small enough to dump the hand to a raise or maybe take the pot if the flop missed everyone.

However, after you were minraised on the flop I dump this hand everyday and twice on Sundays. You have no idea what your up against. Are you willing to make your stand here with middle pair no kicker for your tournament life????/

ravenight
11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I was a bit blinded by the two hearts, I think. I decided he was on a flush draw and consoled myself that he would probably also lay down A/weak kicker to an all-in raise, so I got busted when he called with AT.

SossMan
11-19-2004, 11:55 PM
That would be pretty bad way for him to play a flush draw if he was any good at all.

zaxx19
11-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Um im kinda confused why didnt yu have anyone on an ACE bc it an unraised pot?? Is this the type of hand and postion you really want to betting out into on the flop??(me myself personally rarely bets against someone having an ace in an unraised mutiway pot people poke in with a8 off or worse alot and will call and reraise here.