PDA

View Full Version : Standard play?

SpicyF
11-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Online $30/$60.

7handed.

I'm UTG with 87s, limp. Next player raise and 2 cold callers behind, blinds fold. I 3-bet the 3 of them calls.

Standard?

Flop [8h 6d 8c]

I bet, call-call-fold.

Standard?

Turn 7d. ([8h 6d 8c][7d])

I bet - fold and remaining player raise. I 3-bet and he caps. I call.

Standard?

River 8d ([8h 6d 8c][7d][8d])

I check - he bets, I raise and he calls. Obviously I win.

Standard play?

Chris Daddy Cool
11-19-2004, 09:05 PM
knowing that you'll flop trips, turn a fullhouse, and river quads, you definitely played this hand correctly

SpicyF
11-19-2004, 09:06 PM
For the sake of the argument, let's assume I didn't know this.

mmcd
11-19-2004, 09:09 PM
I'll pull that 87s limp-reraise every once in a while, but I doubt it's standard.

I'm not a fan of the river checkraise either, too risky.

Whatever he has, a decent overpair now beats it.

Nate tha' Great
11-19-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of the argument, let's assume I didn't know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I can't tell if you want a serious reply or not.

I doubt that it is ever really profitable to open-limp in a 7-handed, 30/60 game. If I don't open-limp with marginal hands, I don't limp-reraise with excellent hands. And if I don't limp-reraise with excellent hands, I certainly don't limp-reraise with marginal hands.

La Brujita
11-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I am curious as to whether the reraise preflop with 7-8 suited out of position is profitable? I understand the play with J-T suited and even 10-9 suited but on its own merits I don't know about 7-8 suited since the seven or eight pairing is not as often going to make top pair.

I understand this buys you deception later in the game, are these players you play regularly against? I also understand it might let you take control of a crappy flop but I still have my doubts.

I think the river check raise is great.

Nate tha' Great
11-19-2004, 09:16 PM
There's an argument that 87s is better than JTs in this spot. Your pair outs are generally a little bit cleaner and your cards are generally a little bit more live.

Stork
11-19-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of the river checkraise either, too risky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theres probably at least an 85% chance opponent bets this river...I like the c/r.

SpicyF
11-19-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm serious, that's why I'm delegating the job of telling me which hand he might have to you!

vector2
11-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Even if MP's hand got counterfeited, I think any reasonable player is going to bet the river in this spot. I like the check-raise.

Michael Davis
11-19-2004, 09:41 PM
I play it the same way every time.

-Michael

mike l.
11-19-2004, 09:43 PM
i love preflop limp 3 bet. i like the flop bet, just looks like standard follow through from preflop raise. the turn is fine of course.

the river is questionable though. i think you should bet and hope he raises so you can reraise. im trying to think of what on earth he could be betting on the river and im not coming up with anything. but i think too often you will be up against 77 or something that wont value bet the river after all the turn action so you need to bet the river and not risk losing that extra bet. this was not the place for the checkraise. so there're the two reasons, the second reason being far more important than the first.

mmcd
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Theres probably at least an 85% chance opponent bets this river...I like the c/r.

I think you're over-estimating that percentage given the preflop limp-reraise and the turn lead-3 bet.

Which do you think his opponent puts him on T9 or AK?

I think the straight, the counterfitted boat, and maybe even 99 have a decent possibility of checking this one behind.

I don't play in the Stars 30 game too often, so I could be wrong, but it just seems unreasonable to me to expect to be able to get a checkraise in given the betting in this hand.

mike l.
11-19-2004, 09:46 PM
"Even if MP's hand got counterfeited, I think any reasonable player is going to bet the river in this spot.'

ok that makes no sense at all. why would anyone bet something like 77 or 66 or 99 or a straight here when utg has represented AA, maybe KK, T9, or the case 8. since hero limp-reraised preflop the AA and KK have to be strong faves in villain's mind.

SpicyF
11-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Very valid point about the river. Although given what he had, it was the right play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike l.
11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
so he made diamonds? why'd he value bet that river? that's just awful unless he really had AA which im thinking must be the case.

only other thing might be he made the straight flush and forgot that beats quads not the other way around.

when you coming to LA?

SpicyF
11-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Nah he didn't make the flush, he turn the straight w/ T9o, so I think 2 bets are the maximum I can possibly get.

I'm not sure if that's a real invite, or if you just want someone that limp-c/r in your game!

turnipmonster
11-19-2004, 11:54 PM
frank the way you played this makes me never want to play a hand against you.

SpicyF
11-20-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
frank the way you played this makes me never want to play a hand against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

mixed emotions from both camps, mike l invited me to LA after I did this post... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MarkD
11-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Ok, I know you are a lot better player than I am so I'm probably missing something but I hate the pre-flop play. I think this is a clear fold pre-flop but if you are going to play it then I think you should raise it. Given that you limped and someone raised behind you I think you have to call, but limp re-raising seems like you are totally overplaying your hand. You are out of position against 3-opponents with 8 high.

I think the post-flop play was excellent on all streets and I like the river check raise attempt (mine always seem to fail), but if you could please explain the pre-flop play to me I would appreciate it. Both Mike l and spicyf like this play - I have to be missing something because I really hate it.

SpicyF
11-20-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- I have to be missing something because I really hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, dont hate it until you try it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif