PDA

View Full Version : AJ and medium pairs in LP

ravenight
11-19-2004, 07:54 PM
What do you do with AJ and medium pairs like 88 or 99 in LP against a couple limpers?

I can see folding them or moving in if you are shorter stacked, but assuming you've got plenty of chips, are these raising hands against some EP limpers? Obviously, I'm not playing against world-class players in every seat...

SossMan
11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
General advice sucks, in general.

The most important word in poker is context. The second two most important words in poker are it depends.

All these hands are really very situational. Being able to quickly appraise multiple influential factors are what makes good poker players. Anyone can call an all in for all their chips w/ AA.

ravenight
11-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Well could you give an example of a fairly typical situation where it would go one way instead of another? If you have a tight image and have the limpers and blinds covered, does that make it a raise? If there is a big stack left to act is it a fold? Is there any situation where you call with these cards?

Chaostracize
11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Context is key.

It also depends on mood a lot. With something like AJ with a me having played tight for a while, I'll raise 4X to see if I can take it down there.

But with a hand like 99 or 88, it depends on whether or not I want a big pot. If I do, I'll call and play for set value. If not then I'll raise to around 3x BB to see who leaves and who plays. Although generally, with that amount of limpers, no one's folding once one person calls. And with AJ or 99 you're going to have them playing with you.

It boils down to how well you can appraise the situation post-flop.

SossMan
11-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Some of the relevant factors:

Blind levels
Your stack size
Stack size of the limpers
Stack size of the players behind you
Your image
Limpers' images
table dynamics
how far away from the money are you?
how many players left in the tourney
median chip stack (par stack)
how often have you raised

do i need to go on?

any analysis without knowledge of at least a good portion of these factors is gabbilygook.

ravenight
11-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Ok, then I guess my question is the following:

AJo in CO with ~20-25xBB in your stack, far from the money. Two limpers from the first 5 positions, both with ~15-20xBB. Your image is slightly tight. One of the three behind you has you covered, the others have average-small stacks (10-15xBB or so). No good info on the play of any of the potential opponents. How would you play it?

SossMan
11-19-2004, 09:06 PM
much much better.

I would probably muck the AJo. I might call if it were suited, but I wouldn't be in love w/ an ace high flop. I would be rooting for a J high flop or a monster draw.

I would almost always call w/ the 88/99 unless I had a read that the EP players limped too liberally from EP (a read that you didn't have) in which case I would bump it to 5x and fold to an all in reraise. I really want to have position in this hand, so if I had a read that the button was a chronic limper, I may even make a small raise with 88/99 to like 2.5x to ensure that I had the button (and obviously fold to a limpreraise from either of the EP players).

ravenight
11-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I have a hard time playing against limpers because I'm never sure when I should be pushing and when I should just let a hand go because people are in the pot.

Would AQo be a raising hand here? Would you limp with A6s? Would you play 77 or TT differently than the 88/99?

SossMan
11-19-2004, 11:36 PM
I would raise AQo to 4 or 5x.
I would fold A6s.
I would play 77 the same as 88/99.
I would raise to 4 or 5x w/ TT.

ravenight
11-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your help SossMan.

SossMan
11-19-2004, 11:56 PM
de nada

MLG
11-20-2004, 02:07 AM
You would fold A-6s? I'm almost always willing to limp this here.

MLG
11-20-2004, 02:08 AM
I seem to recall you saying that you didnt ever really care about average stack, something change?

zaxx19
11-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Wow im popping with any pair over 66 or sure and with AJ here.