PDA

View Full Version : A2 suited vs. KJ suited: Deuces win!

10-26-2001, 12:11 PM
Here's a heads up hand that i encountered recently.

The blinds are 30-60 and i have about 900 in chips, my headsup opponent has the other 1200.

I get A2 suited on the button, and double the bet to 120. He calls. The flop comes 6-2-5. He checks, i bet 120. He reraises 120. What to do here? i was pretty sure that he had good overcards but was still dog to my A2, so i repopped 240, and he called.

The turn and river were blanks, but my opponent went all in on the river. I only had bottom pair, with top kicker. What is the move here? It was troubling me because I sensed that he wanted to blow me off whatever i had with his flop raise, then tried blowing me off whatever i had on the river. I tought for a bit and called with my bottom pair and won against his KJ spades. Bad play on his part, but i guess he could have had any other pair to beat me, but i was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Immediately after the hand, he asked me how i could call his all in with bottom pair. I told him i put him on picture cards all the way, and besides, my A was probably good. He said i should have folded either on the flop, or at least on the river. what is the correct play here?

Misctwo

10-26-2001, 01:44 PM
The play is to bet the turn if you think you have the best hand. If raised again, it's time to go.

10-27-2001, 06:03 AM
If you are being completely honest, that you read him so perfectly that he coould only have picture cards, then you played the flop correctly and your call on the river is correct. But honestly, if you were so sure, why no bet on the turn?

Let me say up front that I mean no disrespect for what I'm about to say. My guess is that you had a piece of the flop with a big overcard and bet hoping he missed. When he popped you, you put him on a range of hands, including 2 picture cards. But if he had better, you still had some outs that could make trips or 2 pair, aces up, a likely winner. You missed the turn, so you checked. You missed the river and called because you might have him beat, maybe not, but you had enough invested that the call wasn't too far out there.

That's just my guess. If I'm wrong, my apologies and congratualations on a great read. The fact that you posted this makes me feel that the situation might have been more the other way and you're looking for justification beyond your "read".

Either way, again, I mean no disrespect. I just hope that you are being honest with yourself.

I hope this didn't come off too hard. I mean it in a constructive way.

Keep playing hard!