PDA

View Full Version : First day playing 1/2 6max, hows this hand?

Yobz
11-19-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm in BB
Dealt to me: [ 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
3 limpers, SB folds
Flop: [ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
I check, 1 bet, 2 calls, I raise, everyone calls
Turn: [ A /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
I bet 3 calls:
River: [ Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
I bet, 1 call, 1 fold, 1 raise, I fold...

My read on the caller was "plays like a fish, raises w/the nuts, calls w/anything else"

Good fold or am I a retarded moron?

Yobz
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I forgot to add up the pot, let me do that now:
3 limpers+me+sb=4.5 SB preflop
flop: 8+4.5=12.5sb
turn: 10.25BB
river: 14.25BB to me when its me to act
Is any read ever this strong?

runa
11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm not entirely sure why you chose to CR the flop. The pot is enormous so even with that read I would probably still call down for just 1 big bet.

sqvirrel
11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
It looks like there are 14BB in the pot. You think maybe 1 time in 14 raiser might not have a Q? If so call. If not then you had a great read.

NotMitch
11-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I would have just called and the flop and cr'd the turn. I also would not have bet the river, that card sucks for you. Id rather use that bet to see a showdown in a big pot.

Yobz
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I like the river check/call idea, better than bet/fold IMO.
How come just calling the flop and c/ring the turn? The bigger bet? I want to punish those with crappy hands as much as i can...

Yobz
11-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I played with him for 100 hands and he was not caught bluffing in one of them and his VPIP was high enough and his saw SD was high enough that I saw (very) many of his final hands. He played very straightforward...so honestly with this guy I might only be wrong 1/14. I know on average (esp without a read) you always have to call down, but with such a strong read: should I lay it down ever or was I still wrong?

NotMitch
11-19-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the river check/call idea, better than bet/fold IMO.
How come just calling the flop and c/ring the turn? The bigger bet? I want to punish those with crappy hands as much as i can...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah the bigger bet, I think you punish the crappy hands by waiting until the turn to charge them more. You are in an ideal position relative to the flop bettor to nail the whole field on turn.

sqvirrel
11-19-2004, 05:23 PM
should I lay it down ever or was I still wrong?

I don't know but I don't believe 100 hands is enough to get a read on if someone is capable of bluff raising the river to fold a 14 BB pot.

runa
11-19-2004, 06:10 PM
If you were interested in protecting your hand then CR the turn is the way to go. However, I'd hate to see any street checked through here as that would be a lot of lost equity. I would probably just bet this flop unless you think these players bet when checked to pretty reliably. I also like check calling the river instead of bet-folding.

Blarg
11-21-2004, 09:45 AM
A raise on the turn might have been better. Forcing people to face two bets is always more likely to get them to fold or give them the incorrect odds to call(well usually), compared to a flop raise. At that point, the pot is big enough that if you win straight out and everyone folds to your check raise, you don't care; you've won enough. If they call, so much the better.

As it turned out, the Ace of clubs on the turn could make it look like you raised on hitting your ace, which could make more people fold than would have if they thought you had raised the flop on a queen. It could also get a lot of calls from people playing Ace-x, which is probably great for you. Hard to tell how it would work for you without knowing the players.

Unfortunately, it also puts two to a flush on board. This is the situation where a turn raise comes in handy for trying to make drawing hands pay a lot of money to get there. Whether they call or fold, you get your money's worth out of your raise. This would have been a beautiful spot for a turn raise, for sure.

I'd call this river and just expect to lose most of the time. I've been in situations at low levels like this more than once where at the end the other guy turns over a pair of jacks, seriously.

helpmeout
11-21-2004, 06:57 PM
I bet the flop and hope a Q raises then I checkraise the turn.

Punishing people on the turn is usually much better.

Beck
11-22-2004, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were interested in protecting your hand then CR the turn is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the flop bettor is immediately to your left, how is that protecting your hand, since nobody is facing two bets? Doesn't it just pump up the pot (which is great too, considering you most likely have the best hand).