PDA

View Full Version : Implied Tilt Odds in Tournament Play

10-26-2001, 11:12 AM
I've been playing a regular home no limit tournament for quite some time, and i've heard of 'implied tilt-odds', defined by the 'tiltboys.com' as "expected payoffs from a player's poor play after he goes on tilt."

Now i know that this term is probably used in jest, but i've noticed that trying to put people on tilt early in the game can be very profitable. any comments? Because i've noticed that once someone has been put on tilt by a suckout, that player will tend to hemmorage his chips away. Each player reacts differently, so the results vary.

one example would be sucking out on a player with a very inferior hand in the early blinds of the tourney...This idea of 'implied tilt-odds'(a derivative of Sklanksy's 'implied odds') i think is funny, unorthodox, and risky, but profitable. am i a gullible fool, or does the concept of 'implied tilt-odds' in a tournament really exist???

Misctwo

10-26-2001, 12:33 PM
Possibly, but to a lesser extent than in a cash-game. The problem in a tournament is that too often your target will either lose his chips or your table will be broken up.

However, in the early stages of a rebuy tournament, this could come into play and might be worth thinking about.

Andy.

10-27-2001, 05:32 AM
I think it's very true that a player on tilt will more easily part with chips, even in a tournament. Two interesting and important factors usually acompany such a time:

1. The tilter (the one on tilt) will usually try to avenge the beat directly. Therefore, it is best to be the tiltee. If you are the one who laid the bad beat on him, you are his target and therefore have the best chance to profitfrom his subsequent poor play.

2. On the negative side of this coin, the one on tilt is now almost completely opaque, meaning impossible to put on a hand. Therefore, be careful...if he has a big hand, you may not only give up chips if you play normally, but you also must be careful not to give away too much by playing less than perfect cards in order to take advantage of his looser play.

A similar situation hurt me 3 weeks ago. A person I know well, lost a big hand to me. The very next hand he raised preflop, and bet aggressivley throughtout the hand with pocket dueces. I took him down. On the very next hand he played it out exactly the same only this time, I had the goods, pocket Queens. I laid a huge trap for him. Unfortunatly, he had AA! End of story.

Keep playing hard!