PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Queens

10-25-2001, 05:21 PM
I'm playing in a no-limit holdem tourney at Hollywood Park ($90 buyin no rebuys or addons). We started out with 800 in chips and the binds were 10/15, and on the very first hand I look down to see Q,Q. Well that was the good news the bad news was that it was raised in early pos. to 200. It's then folded to me in early/late pos. and no one behind looks likely to call. I think for a couple secs. and muck. He showed sevens and left me doubting my play. Comments.

10-25-2001, 05:42 PM
Well if you don't know the player it is hard to know what the huge overbet means. In my experience it may mean a low pair, AK or KK/AA. So you might be a big favorite, slight favorite or big dog.

If you had TT or JJ I think the muck would be easier. With QQ it is harder but probably correct. Why potentially risk all your chips on the 1st hand against an unknown player? If you know the player then it makes the decision easier.

Ken Poklitar

10-25-2001, 08:29 PM
I hate getting premium pairs in the first few hands. But, if I do, I suck it up and pounce. But a 200$ raise is either the hand he had, or aces. fold, and weather the early lunatics. 90$ buyin and 800$ in chips? I can only dream of such things at the trop. The most we get is 500$, and that's for the big 200$ buyin. That 77 guy was an early casualty, no doubt.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

10-26-2001, 02:42 AM
I just barely beat Mr. 77 when I went out about 2 or 3 places ahead of him. I finished 32nd out of 144 when I went all-in w/ KK against AA, and the other 2 Kings. Oh well, I'll get'em next time.

10-26-2001, 04:47 AM
He makes it 200 into a pot of 25 ? Where is this game :-).

Seriously, it's often very difficult to make a judgement call very early against someone you don't know. And no one wants to bust out first hand in a freezeout ! The question is would he make such a big over-raise with AA or KK ? Most players wouldn't IMO. If you agree, you can make an argument for either flat calling or going all-in depending on how tricky your opponent is likely to be on the flop (go all-in if he's tricky, call if he's predictable and especially if he is likely to call for the rest with an under-pair).

Andy.

10-26-2001, 08:31 PM
I gotta agree with Andy here. 200 bet to p/u 25 is a ridiculously high bet. I just can't see any player of quality making this play with AA or KK (I have seen it done by newbies to be honest). But I lean towards the agressive....RAISE ALL-IN!

LOL. I want to win this thing, not muck strong hands to probable fools.

Folding certainly wasn't incorrect, but it is conservative.

Keep playing HARD!