PDA

View Full Version : pocket 6's on the button

buhler26
11-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Fairly early in a sitngo NL holdem tourney.
I'm doing this from memory, I'll do my best on chip amounts.
Blinds 20-40
SB stack is about 2100, mine is about 900.

One MP limper, I limped from the button.
The SB raises to about 160, BB folds, MP folds.
SB has shown some pretty bad hands and has raised quite a bit.
I call thinking that I can easily double up if I catch a set.

Flop is 982, rainbow. He quickly bets out about 420.
I think he has overcards and is trying to pick up the pot.

Obviously my 750 or so raise is not gonna get em out of the pot, but a call is over half my stack. I think I have the best hand, so I can't fold.

I raised all-in, he showed AJ. Bad news is board comes T, Q, and he makes a straight.

Two questions:
Should I have let this hand go before the flop?
What should I have done on the flop, when faced with the 420 bet?

Thanks for your input!

spentrent
11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
It sounds like you had a tremendous read on him. Looks like you played it perfectly; he just got lucky.

I would have considered folding if the flop had two of a suit, since it wouldn't be a stretch for a 14-outer to be betting at you.

As for calling his raise pre-flop with 66, 120 more seems a little pricy -- considering your stack -- but if you "know" he's very loose, I can't argue with it.

ilya
11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Fold preflop (after the raise).

Barring that, fold on the flop. Your "read" is just wishful thinking that happened to be correct this time.

spentrent
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barring that, fold on the flop. Your "read" is just wishful thinking that happened to be correct this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but how do we know that he hasn't played against this guy before? It seems a little snide to reject his read outright without knowing why he was so eager to call with an admittedly marginal hand.

ilya
11-19-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but how do we know that he hasn't played against this guy before? It seems a little snide to reject his read outright without knowing why he was so eager to call with an admittedly marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buhler himself points out that the SB is very LAG, capable of playing/raising with a wide range of hands. So, he really could have anything here -- overcards, an overpair, 77, top pair, middle pair, overcards+OESD, 2 pair...anything, really. It is more or less impossible to be certain that he just has overcards.

spentrent
11-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Okay I see what you mean.

poboy
11-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I actually would have let this go preflop. Playing a small pp HU is not the place to do it. Calling hoping to hit your set is a bad idea because you will only flop a set I believe about 11% of the time. Fold and wait for a better opportunity.