PDA

View Full Version : flops from the blinds

tolbiny
11-19-2004, 02:41 PM
A fairly common situation early in a PP 10+1 tourney.
four limpers to you and you have a garbage hand like Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
and the flop comes
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Do you take a stab right away? Who checks, and bets a non A/k turn if it is checked through.
How much do you bet?

Would it change if the flop was
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif?

tigerite
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
I take a half-pot sized stab, if I am raised I fold, if I am called I check it down. Unless I hit two pair obviously :-)

tigerite
11-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Actually, no, with a 2 kicker I wouldn't. If it was reasonable I might, but probably not with a 2.

stillnotking
11-19-2004, 04:17 PM
#1: I check the flop definitely; if someone bets, whether I call would depend on my read of that player. This is not a terrible flop by any means for Q2o. 2 pair is not likely to be out there and neither are any good draws. The only question is the perennial "how's my kicker?" A bet from a solid/tight player and I let this one go. If checked around, I bet the turn unless it's an A or K, just like you suggest. I'm not concerned about giving a free card -- the only hand that would have a good chance of catching up to me would be AK, and they would have raised before the flop.

#2: similar situation but the flop is even better since the turn and river are likely to improve your kicker. I'd play it the same way but be slightly more inclined to call -- there are more steal attempts on paired boards, and holders of medium pocket pair will probably bet. Trips isn't likely here unless you're playing with very loose people.