PDA

View Full Version : JJ in The Big Blind, 2nd Shortest Stack

Cleveland Guy
11-19-2004, 02:39 PM
This is probably my most troubling hand I played from my 1 day challange yesterday.

This was my first game at a $30 +3, which in itself is above my normal level.

Here is the hand in Question. I am the BB with about 1300 Chips left before posting, Blinds are 100/200. There are 6 left.

I get Dealt JJ

UTG (3500) Opens with a min raise to 400.
MP (2800) Folds
CO (2200) Folds
Button (4200) Folds
SB (900) Folds

I'm sure that UTG Wouldn't do this without a premium hand here, but I'm not convinced that he has AA or KK. I think AK, AQ, AJ, 88-TT are just as likely. In other words I think he has enough of a hand that he wants to play, but doesn't want to make it cheap or give me a free flop. I also cannot rule out AA or KK.

I am starting to lost chips, and I haven't picked up any real good hands all tournament, so my image is tight. I push by me is only another 900 to him, into a pot of about 1800, so he would be getting 2-1. I don't think he is going to lay down here very often.

So what would you do in this situation?

Please provide any feedback.

adanthar
11-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Easy push against that range.

PS: Given that you think UTG wouldn't do it without a premium hand, the most correct play is to withdraw your money and move to Party, where he does do it without one all the freakin' time.

tolbiny
11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I push all in.
When you get to be a small stack late in the tourney you will end up haveing to put your chips in a less than ideal situation.
this is hardly one of those situations, its about as good as you can hope for right now- either double up, take down the blinds or start a new tourney. 1 and 2 should vastly outnumber number 3.

Phill S
11-19-2004, 02:49 PM
heres my other:

you have 1500. he raised to 400, raise it to 800. if called push any flop (not quite a stop and go, but similar concept). if raised get all in.

it sweetens the pot, you have a little FE after the flop, just push on _everything_. if i can avoid running a hand through ill try and avoid (err other than KK in level 1 /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). but im looking for more than 500 chips at this point in the game with this hand.

i think in this case all the chips are going into the middle and the boards decides where they slide to.

fwiw, pushing is not wrong either. in fact it may be less wrong than the answer above.

Phill

Cleveland Guy
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I Pushed, as I guess most of you would have.

He turned over AK. - and got a river K, after a flop of 9TT.

after the bust out, I was wondering if I should have tried a stop and go here.

Seems like the answer was that I made the right play.

ZeeJustin
11-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Easy easy push.

TheDrone
11-19-2004, 07:51 PM
As I understand it, for the stop-and-go to be a better play here you need to have a hand that is behind his range of hands. With JJ you want him to get in all his chips with a likely worse hand. Maybe a hand like KQ or even TJ is better suited for this play.