PDA

View Full Version : ATo in small blind

SeanSkill
11-19-2004, 02:19 PM
ok so im in the small blind with ATo I limp in with 4 others 5sb and the flop comes K T 3 giving me 2nd pair and an overcard with a backdoor nut flush draw and 2 gap A high str8 draw. the way i am figuring this I have 2 outs to to trip 10's 3 outs to aces up .5 outs for the str8 draw and another 1.5 for the flush draw. 7 outs total to the probable best hand and another 18 outs to improve my hand 4 jacks 4 queens and 10 of my suit all of which will set up a redraw. Do i bet out or check and call hoping to see the turn for 1 small bet.

Greg J
11-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Good question, though one better suited to a strategy forum. I will take a shot though. I would not bet out here, but check and call (which is something I rarely do as I'm a psycho on the flop -- Flop agression for me is over 4 in my PT database). If you don't improve on the turn you can check and fold since it's still a relatively small pot, but if you bet out and are raised you are sucked into the hand b/c of the large pot. Also, I think if you check and call, and your hand improves on the turn, this can allow you to checkraise. Basically, though checking and calling is generally not an optimal play, there are some times that it is warrented. I think this is one of those times -- it gives you more options. Hope that makes sense.

wyattjames4
11-19-2004, 03:29 PM
i think you check and see. its a small pot and you are the 1st to act every round. if you get a free card, great, if its one bet back to you probably call, and if it comes back to you with a couple raises you can evaluate then.

Demana
11-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Only your tens, flush, and straight outs are clean as any ace will give someone with QJ the nut straight.

That leaves you with 4 clean outs (2 tens + 1.5 for the flush + .5 for the straight).

Myself, in a small pot like this, I would probably check/fold simply because any K beats you, your aces are not clean, and you will not have the odds to draw to the inside straight draw on the river if the J or Q does come on the turn (you'd need roughly 11:1 to make the call).

Probably best to post this in the micro stakes forum for the expert's opinions...

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-20-2004, 01:10 AM
First of all, you're probably ahead here between 1/3 and 1/2 of the time in an unraised pot. Still, you're out of position against 4 opponents, so it's best to check this flop and assess where you are when it gets back to you. A bet and a raise, you can fold - an EP bet with callers, you have odds to call to see if you improve - a LP bet and you can raise to clean up your outs - checked around, you bet out on the turn unless another overcard to your pair hits.

deacsoft
11-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Yes. You do not want to bet in to that many opponents with 2nd pair, an overcard and a couple of weak draws. Being raised here is not what you want.