PDA

View Full Version : TWO 8c IN THE DECK AT THE WSOP!!!

10-25-2001, 10:49 AM
Here's a strange thing i saw when i was watching the ESPN televised WSOP main event. VERY VERY strange because what transpires is odd indeed....has anyone else picked up on this?

The final hand is as follows:

Russ Hamilton is in the big blind, Vincent is on the button and has first action, and limps in. Hamilton checks. and the flop comes 8c-rag-rag.

Hamilton goes all in, and Vincent goes all in. They flip their cards, and Russ Hamilton has a Ks8h, for top pair good kicker, and Vincent has 5h8c!!!!! So now there is an eight of clubs in Vincent's hand, and an eight of clubs on the board. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! And trust me, I rewound the tape about 15 times to make sure they were the same cards, AND THERE WERE TWO 8c IN THE DECK.

Can anyone explain this situation? The only logical explanation i could figure, is that ESPN, after the hand, set up what they thought was Vincent's hand, but messed up and just pulled a black 8 and a red 5 out of the deck and shot it for the video. Has anyone seen this as well? If there were two cards of the same rank/suit at the WSOP final table heads up, i would think someone would pick up on it, and all hell would break loose, but just want to make sure with all you poker minds out there!

Misc

10-25-2001, 10:50 AM
WHOOPS......

i forgot to mention that this was the Final Event of the 1994 WSOP.

Misctwo

10-26-2001, 08:46 PM
I checked it out too. You are right. But it seems clear that the hole cards were filmed later by the TV crew. They simply mixed the suits up. Russ should have had the King of Clubs and Hugh the Eight of Spades. You can tell this because Jack McClelland doing the commentary says that Hugh has a flush draw with spades.

It was a nice catch on your part. I must have watched that shot ten times and never noticed.

Doug