PDA

View Full Version : Terrible fold?

Mr. Graff
11-19-2004, 01:21 PM
First time I'm posting a hand here. Hope the format is readable (otherwise feel free to flame me /images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

I'm pretty new to 2/4 6 max at Stars. So far it seems a lot more aggressive than 1/2 6 max at Party where I've been playing for a little over a month and I'm finding it a little tough to adjust. In 1/2 6 max at Party I learned that you have to respect turn aggression or you get burned a lot but I'm less sure about 2/4 6 max at Stars. They seem to fool around a lot more. Am I being too weak here with no read?

Stars 2/4 6 max (no reads, only played a few hands at this point):
Hero is on the button with K /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Fold, MP calls, CO calls, Hero raises, fold, fold, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop comes: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Checked to me, I bet and MP calls, CO folds. (9.5 small bets)

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP bets, Hero folds.

What is your line here?

Is this a colossal mistake, only a minor one, or is perhaps even close to being correct? The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe that the first conslusion is the right one. I'm getting approx. 1:3.5 if I call him down down and if he had something would he not usually checkraise me? I'm thinking now that there is a good chance he took a shot and I bent over willingly...

Scotch78
11-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I think you need to see the showdown on this one.

Scott

sqvirrel
11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
If you get in the habit of folding to single turn bets after raising preflop and betting the flop you are just inviting folks to try to steal pots from you.

Raise the turn, fold to a reraise.

Check behind on the river (unless you improve)

Mr. Graff
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get in the habit of folding to single turn bets after raising preflop and betting the flop you are just inviting folks to try to steal pots from you.

Raise the turn, fold to a reraise.

Check behind on the river (unless you improve)

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. Gotta think ahead a little. This is the kind of play I need to use more. I think 1/2 may have dulled my way thinking a bit... Thanks /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Grisgra
11-19-2004, 04:20 PM
What's the advantage of raising the turn/folding to a reraise over calling the turn and river? Same amount of money put in, and you're guaranteed a showdown.

sqvirrel
11-19-2004, 04:46 PM
What's the advantage of raising the turn/folding to a reraise over calling the turn and river? Same amount of money put in, and you're guaranteed a showdown.

1) A raise is more noticable than a call down. People will be less likely to ever bet into you - especially on a bluff or semibluff if they know you are likely to pop them back.

2) The raise may be for value if you are getting semi-bluffed by someone that has no intention of calling a river bet if their draw doesn't come int.

3) In some cases you will take the pot right there.

What do you think is the benefit of a showdown?

Grisgra
11-20-2004, 12:37 PM
I think this is pretty close.

I guess as long as an ace doesn't SNG on you, and as long as a draw/underpair won't be so aggressive as to 3-bet you here (would you call an SNG?) you're probably okay raising the turn. Very doubtful you'll get a better hand to fold. You will possibly get an extra bet out of the semi-bluffers, but you do open yourself up to some risk that you wouldn't be exposed to by just calling down.