PDA

View Full Version : Losing to the Loose One

10-24-2001, 03:26 PM
Hey all,

For the past 27 weeks I have played a hold 'em tournament every Sunday night. Its a small buy-in tourney, four 20 minute limit rounds then 20 minute NL rounds. 7-12 people depending on the week. Of all the regulars I have won more money playing poker than all of them except maybe one.

I have never won.

The most successful player is one friend who plays an extrememly loose game. He has won maybe 6 times and routinely finishes in the money (top 3 paid). He also goes out early quite often, as you can imagine. His game seems to consist of playing any two cards he feels like (with some recognition of position but not much), trying to get a pair or better or any semi-feasible draw on the flop and chase it down. He plays maybe 50% of all hands, loves suited cards and will raise/reraise with the premiums as well as such winners as A8o out of the SB. He is not a stupid person, he just plays a very high variance game, mostly for fun but it has been very successful for him. He has also been extraordinarily lucky--but consistently so. Last week I saw him win 8 heads-up NL match-ups when he had the worse pre-flop hand.

I know this is a hard situation to comment on but I am wondering if anyone has played with such players regularly and has any general advice. I have tried to isolate him when I have a good hand and ram and jam but he will call me down with any piece of the flop. If he hits and I don't I get stuck. That can be an expensive venture. Plus, he is almost impossible to put on a hand because he is just as likely to have 75s when he limps UTG as KQo, for example. I have refused to loosen up like him because I think he makes endless FTOP type mistakes but is routinely bailed out by lucky cards. Still, my pride (and BR) is severely wounded here--I'm supposed to be the ringer of the bunch and this fish is killing the game every week. Is there anything I can do, or I should I just gain my comfort from the fact that he can't keep it up forever?

Any comments appreciated.

KJS