PDA

View Full Version : Home game No limit tourney hand

10-24-2001, 11:24 AM
No limit tourney home game question: $40 buy-in, no rebuy, pays top two spots with 8 players. I am chip leader with about T2500. Total chips on the table is $8000.

Here is the hand:

Blinds are now 50-100; I limp with AK off UTG, one off the button(2nd chips) raises to 500, and BB calls. It's practically an easy fold, but i just wanted to make sure with all you poker brains out there. I guess the mistake was not raising a little UTG, but as it turns out, i would have lost to pocket 8's.

My thinking: i wanted to stay away from 2nd chip leader come hell or high water, unless i had the stone cold nuts. Is this a pretty obvious fold? The big mistake i guess was not raising UTG.....i was actually hoping on a raise, but not from the bigstack....The 2nd chip leader told me if i reraised preflop he

most likely would have laid his 88 down.

what is the correct action? Thank you all in advance!

Misctwo

10-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Certainly you need to initially raise with AKo. I can't imagine why you wouldn't. Play to win, don't play not to lose.

Once you get raised and someone else calls the raise it is a tougher situation. You have to figure one of the players have a pair and you are at best a 50-50. I like to re-raise with AK instead of just calling but this may be a case where I just call and dump if I miss the flop.

Ken Poklitar

10-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Yes i agree....i wasted T100 on that hand...

I wasn't in the gambling mood anyway; i just won most of those chips and didn't want to gamble with AK for 500, but i definitely should have raised UTG.... what a tool i am.

: )