PDA

View Full Version : stoxtrader, actionbob, peter_rus, james282...

JeffO
11-19-2004, 12:05 PM
and others that use their 2+2 names at party. Do you feel like this gives you some kind of edge, or it probably doesn't effect things one way or another?

stoxtrader
11-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I have my choice between using a well known name, or a anonymous name, and I was just discussing this very thing with gonores last week.

his idea, which is brilliant is to check my screenames individually in pokertracker to see how they do. Problem is, what sample size would be sufficient?

I'm not sure it makes a difference either way, but I'm certainly open to others opinions, as I need to know what name to use the most /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kaz The Original
11-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Maybe they're just really, really uncreative.

Nick B.
11-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I think it would probably matter for the first 100 or so hands to other players that think, before they would get a read on you. After the good players get a feel for how you play, I don't think it would matter.

SoBeDude
11-19-2004, 12:19 PM
IMO, if you practice good game selection skills on party, your name being known to 2+2ers should have a negligible impact on your earn.

And in some respects, it may actually help. I know I tend to avoid tables with several 2+2ers on it.

-Scott

Peter_rus
11-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't know if it helps. -ev by improved pre-reading of me on a table with 2+2'rs is probably compensated by some % of good players who avoid playing games with my presence so i play in average against a bit worse players.

glen
11-21-2004, 07:52 PM
well i know you used to be sobedude on party, but are you still?

ActionBob
11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I've never really thought much about it. I've been known as ActionBob among the internet community for so many years (even prior to live internet poker) so I used that name when online poker first came about.

-ActionBob

Steve Giufre
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I cant imagine it really matters. Anybody who plays enough on Party to pay attention to this stuff would know that all of these guys can play, and I would think most have some notes anyway. On the other hand, for those who just lurk a lot on 2+2 and rarely play, it wont matter if they recognize the name, because you wont play enough hands agaist them for it to effect your win rate one way or another.

Eerything I know about all the guys you mentioned comes from playing hands agaist them, almost none of it comes from reading posts. I think its kinda silly when people are overprotective of thier PP names, but what the hell do I know.

James282
11-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I don't have a particular strategy with regards to my screen name being known or unknown --- but I think it helps me against 2+2ers because they often alter their play based on how they think a "2+2er" would play. Most people are so bad at adjusting to different playing styles that you will often see these people tightening up way too much(especially in the blinds) and giving me too much credit during postflop action. That being said, people probably take shots at me a little more thinking that I can lay down a hand(which I can - but against these "unknowns" I often just call it down anyway). In the long run, I don't think it effects my winrate by very much -- and the winrate in the 200k or so hands that ActionBob and I have logged under these "known" screen names has been substantial enough that I really doubt we give any equity away by being known. And hell, if I can give decent players another reason to leave my fish to me at the tables, I welcome it with open arms.
-James

Sponger15SB
11-21-2004, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and others that use their 2+2 names at party. Do you feel like this gives you some kind of edge, or it probably doesn't effect things one way or another?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to play limit HE the past few days, and it seems like every other table somebody throws out the "brown trout".... after like 5x it starts to get annoying.

However it is nice because you can identify other 2+2ers easily as well.

SoBeDude
11-21-2004, 09:07 PM
well i know you used to be sobedude on party, but are you still?

No, I changed it a while back, but many on here know it.

I still use SobeDude on Paradise though.

But my point was: I sat down at a table with 2 or 3 other 2+2ers last night. After we all said hello I left after about one round of play. Too many other softer tables to choose from.

-Scott