PDA

View Full Version : Thanks giving Challange

Lamby2
11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

I have read lots of post about different challanges in this pages and now its my turn :-)

I challange all of you to give 5% of your winnings that you make during next week (week 48) to Charity.
I live in Sweden and will give mine to "Young Child Foundation" because that org. is working with stuff close to my heart.
Feel free to pick your own org. as long as it is charity.

I does not matter if you play .5/1 or 15/30 as long as you give 5%. If you are losing player during next week but have the intention to really make your contribution please feel that you really was succesful in this challange.

I dont want to se any amounts because it is not a bragging competition. I would like to see if you are in on this and what org that got a donation.

Best Regards
Lamby

NLSoldier
11-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Cool idea. I'll consider it if i get any hands played next week.

GuyOnTilt
11-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey Lamby,

Good idea. For those that don't already give to charities, I'd encourage it. But do your research as to who you give to. Your dollar will do much more work at some charities than others. FWIW, I choose to give to World Vision by sponsoring a child (Raquel) and a mother of five (Tsehai). They're a good organization.

GoT

snowbank
11-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Great idea Lamby. I agree with GOT. Make sure you give to a charity that puts your money to good use. If you would like to give to a charity but don't know who to give to, I would check out the "Ring True Foundation." It was founded by former NBA player Manute Bol, and gives money to the 'lost boys of Sudan.' I ran a charity event with Manute last year, and it seems like a great organization.

Yobz
11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Really good idea. I dont know how much I'll play poker, but I'll keep this thread in mind

Greg J
11-19-2004, 03:25 PM
I like this idea. My winnings will be petty, but I will give it a shot. 5% to a shelter for abused women.

SA125
11-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Great idea. My daughter has Crohn's disease so CCFA is naturally close to my heart. That has been my main focus obviously, but still try to help out others like DAV (Disabled American Vets), MADD (Mothers against Drunk Driving) and Easter Seals. MADD is a great organization that has done a tremendous amount to lower the alcohol levels for DWI. It sucks unless you lost a child because of it.

Funny story is that I live in NYC and used to contribute to Covenant House, a group run by a priest who took in teenage runaways off the streets of Manhattan, most of whom were prostitutes and on drugs. The founder met President Reagan and shortly thereafter was found to be spending some money on his homosexual lover. What a shame. I never gave them another dime. I knew something was up when they asked me for $500 at Christmas. This was 20 years ago, I had a wife and son and that was my rent. I had given $5 here and there and now they wanted my lungs. Greed.

meep_42
11-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Do I get money back if I lose? :P

I'll give my meager share to the local Humane Society shelter.

-d

Lamby2
11-22-2004, 04:47 AM
Time to start win big for charity

Good luck all
Lamby