PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd place knock-out hand: NLHE

10-22-2001, 03:52 AM
I'll be quick and to the point because this is not a bad-beat whinning post...I'm am 90% sure that I made the right choice, I just want confirmation on that point.

SITUATION:

NLHE pays four places, three left

1st: $1500

2nd: $750

3rd: $450

BLINDS: T500-T1000, no ante

T30,000 in play

CHIPS AND PLAYERS:

Botton: Old man, awful player, total calling station, nice guy plays every week and this is his first time in the money, has no idea what he is doing. Plays any two suited broadway cards, most connectors, never raises before the flop, and puts all his chips in when he flops anything from top pair to a draw.

Has about T13,000

Small Blind: Part time dealer, OK player has gotton very lucky up until this part, plays agressivly before the flop.

Has about T13,00 also

Big Blind: Yours truely. Smart, good-looking, funny, great poker player and a real class act (not). Very low in chips, after I put up my small blind I have T3100 left.

HAND:

Botton limps (this could mean anything), small blind completes and I knuckle with Q-10o.

FLOP: 986 no suite. Small Blind bets T3100 (my stack). I quickly look at the botton to get a read and I am 100% sure he is going to call and check it down.

Desicion: I have a double belly buster straight and two over cards. That gives be 14 outs twice.

On the one hand if I hit a Jack, 7, queen or 10, I triple through. I like that situation. On the other hand I might be in seroius trouble. It is possible that the old guy has a similar straight draw, giving me only half the pot if I hit the straight, small blind might have the straight all ready, or might have two pair making my over cards no good and giving him re draws if I hit on the turn.

I thought for a while and decided that if I fold it would leave me with 2,600, 500 of which would have to go up in the next hand small blind. I can still see some hands, but compared to the other stacks I would still be in need of some hands in a hurry.

It is possible that the small blind flopped a moster, like the straight or two pair, but that is unlikely. He would have checked the nut straight knoing that I would have to try to grab the pot of let the old guy semi-bluff at it with his draw.

I figured the outs were too many and the T12,000 pot would make it worth it so I called all in. I would really be in contention to win it all if I hit the right card.

RESULTS:

My call was good based on their hands, neither one of them had a monster. Small blind turned over (after they checked the turn and river) K-9 for top pair and the botton turned over 6-7s for bottom pair up and down straight draw, which does make my 10 over card no good.

Turn: 8

river: blank

and I hit the rail with my net profit after rebuys and good dealer tip with about $200.

Question:

Was my thought process correct on this and was my call a good one?

(Who the hell I am to hit a 28 outer anyways?)

kinish21@hotmail.com

see you all in Foxwoods!

10-22-2001, 04:42 AM
I don't know how important $300 is to you (difference between 1st and 2nd) but if you think there both going all in and you can get heads-up with one of them and insure 2nd place, fold; Otherwise I think a call is in order. Better luck with your 20 outers...Remember, your 10 was no good.

P.S. When calculating your outs with overcards, don't include overcards that put out 4 card straights and flushes.

10-22-2001, 08:32 AM
Your call was perfectly OK. Unless your read says you really only have 4 outs (the jacks), then the call usually has more EV than folding.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-24-2001, 07:32 PM
I think you have to call, however how did you let yourself get into the blinds with only 3 x bb left? You probably should have had a steal at it before hand.

d.