PDA

View Full Version : A9 in SB

10-21-2001, 01:55 PM
No Limit holdem tournment, pays top 5 in a typical payout. We are down 13 players at two tables (6 at mine). Blinds are at $100/200. I have A9 in the SB and have $1200 in chips. The button raises to 700. He has a slightly larger stack than I say 1600. He will raise on most Aces, any pair, and big kings. I do not believe that I can raise him off any of those hands with the amount I have. BB has about $8-900. Suspect he will now be calling with hands that he would have folded early such as AT/AJ/KQ/and medium pairs even if I come in. What is my decision?

One important element is that the table is fairly aggressive (it is raise and take it) so it may be difficult for me to find a situation where I am first in with a reasonable hand (say JT). Remember I only have 12 hands before I am sure to be called.

10-21-2001, 09:23 PM
I vote for raising all-in. Given your read of the range of hands the button will play, you're a slight favorite here. The reason I prefer raising over calling (and then auto-betting the flop) is to make sure the big blind folds, and leave his dead money in the pot. Basically, you're going to be risking your last 1100 to win 1500 as a slight favorite. Not bad, and probably better than the alternatives.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-22-2001, 12:03 PM
Greg - For the record he had 55 and I lost. However I am interested more in the proper play rather than results. Do you think it would be correct to call someone like I described with a smaller Ace (say A5)or a hand like KQ/KJ? Obviously I am trying to figure out when is better to gamble with a short stack as opposed to just waiting to get in first with a reasonable hand. Often I have found that that time never comes when the table is aggressive.

Thanks, Calvin

10-22-2001, 12:31 PM
Calvin,

Very frequently KQ is a better hand to raise or call with than A5, even though A5 beats KQ head-up ! It took me a long time to realise this.

Just think about which hand you would rather have against two very common hands that your opponent can have in the short-stack (either you or him) situation - A-medium or a medium pair. And KT, QJ etc. By comparison there are only a handful of holdings against which you would prefer A5 - A-even smaller (and even then there will be many split pots) and KK, I think that's about it isn't it ?

Andy.

10-22-2001, 01:06 PM
In your situation the raiser is in steal position and the table is only 6 handed. So the hands he has can vary greatly. If he knows the blinds are tight then he could be raising with 72o. The problem with A5 is that if he has an Ace your kicker is probably a big problem. With A9 you have a decent chance to outkick him and to give you overcards on smaller pairs.

If possible it is best to try to get your chips in first as the raiser instead of calling with marginal hands when you are a short stack. In this situation I agree with Greg and raising all-in is the correct play. Too bad he wasn't stealing with 72o.

Ken Poklitar