PDA

View Full Version : Bluffed someone out of a nut board at Foxwoods...

pshreck
11-19-2004, 01:01 AM
This hand happened a while back, and I forgot to post it, but this story needs to be told.

Baby NL (1/2 blinds).

I wont tell you the whole hand, because it doesn't matter.

By the river, there was 40 bucks in the pot. Board read AJQ10K, no flush possibility. Opponent checks to me, I am about to check back (having my trip jacks look bad after he called me on the flop and the turn brought the 10), but for a joke I look at the dealer and say "all in". Opponent looks at board and quickly mucks.

What are these people doing in card rooms?

jar
11-19-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are these people doing in card rooms?

[/ QUOTE ]
Giving us a reason to put up with the large rake and lousy service.

slickpoppa
11-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Would have been even funnier if it was a limit game

daryn
11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
i have done the same exact thing at foxwoods before, in a tournament.

same board, AKQJT, no flush possible. there's a decent pot already. i'm first to act. like you, i was about to check, then i'm like F it, all in.

it was 3 handed including me. next guy looks puzzled but calls. 3rd guy looks at the board, back at his hand, back at the board, and mucks in total disgust hahahahhahaa

beerbandit
11-19-2004, 11:36 AM
soda ...... hahahhaha

cheers
beer

ToledoTommy
11-19-2004, 11:38 AM
I've never heard of anything like that. How can someone decide to play poker and risk money and not even be able to read the board properly? That's one of the first things to learn. Crazy.

feelixthegreek
11-19-2004, 12:48 PM
3-6 B&M game:

I had QQ and the board ended up 87654 rainbow. I was first to act and checked. My opponent checked behind and when I flipped over my queens, he shook his head and mucked his cards a second and a half before someone piped in with "straight plays."

If I had bet the river it probably would have given him time to think.

nicky g
11-19-2004, 01:05 PM
I've never got that one to work but twice I've seen people check when last to act on the river with the rock solid nuts.

top6
11-19-2004, 01:20 PM
I can't even count the number of times I've seen someone last to act with the stone cold nuts just call the last bet.

feelixthegreek
11-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I sat next to a guy that did that once. I liked him enough to point out his error. He said, "I got scared." He must have been worried his opponent had 3 cards.

Toro
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never got that one to work but twice I've seen people check when last to act on the river with the rock solid nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did it recently. I can't remember how the hand played out but the board ended up KQJT2 rainbow and I had an A. The guy made a good sized bet and I called and said "chop it up" and he had a set. Maybe he doesn't call a raise but regardless it was a big mistake by me. Lesson learned, assume nothing.

pshreck
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
On a final board of 2AKA7, I bluffed out the end with my pocket jacks, figuring I could get my opponent to lay down a K, and he may have been drawing anyways. I raised about 40 into a pot of 45. I had probably like 350 behind. My opponent has around 225 behind.

He immediately says call and slams his cards down on the table, saying "can you beat that?" in a taunting way. He held AK for the nuts, but thought it would be good to not raise me on the river.

I chuckled a bit and mucked. Made me feel good that if I held another lower full house or trip kings I wouldnt have lost any more on the hand.

PITTM
11-19-2004, 04:54 PM
you have to realize most people in card rooms really just think of poker as an extension of roulette or something. it is all gambling and they have no idea what theyre doing.

rj

eh923
11-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm assuming that you're ignoring times when getting overcalls was more profitable than squeezing an extra bet from one player, right?

phixxx
11-19-2004, 05:22 PM
In my home game, a regular who was beginning held KQ in the BB. The SB and UTG+1 were in the pot. The flop came K K Q, and the SB somehow caught a glance at the BB's KQ. He assured the BB that his hand was no good, and BB MUCKED! SB broke down in laughter, we couldn't get over how the BB mucked a flopped boat.

I asked him, "Alex why would you fold the nuts on the flop?"

He responded, "Don't worry. Trust me."

Turn Blank. River Blank.

CaptObvious
11-19-2004, 07:06 PM
That's absoultely nuts. Those are the people you need to find after the game and buy them a couple drinks, and something to eat. Hell take there name and number the next time they decide to play...*L*

SofaCoach
11-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I always bet/raise in this situation. You would be surprised how many people fold.

One time the board was JJJJA I bet, and TWO players folded. This was at party 2/4.

Stinglikeabee
11-22-2004, 06:07 PM
That happened to me last weekend. You gotta love it.

MicroBob
11-22-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One time the board was JJJJA I bet, and TWO players folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this before too.

It's almost something you can realistically see happening though.
Once when I was multi-tabling I had 72o in the BB or something and it get kept getting checked around many players each round until it was a split-pot on the end and someone bet it. I wasn't paying attention to the hand because I was ready to fold for any bet....I caught it at the very last moment and unchecked the fold box.
A couple other players did fold so 4 or 5 of us split what should have been a 7-way pot.

J.A.Sucker
11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
I've done it. Sometimes you don't really pay attention to well, especially if the pot is small. I'm sure you've never done anything dumb before, right?

I've also had a chopped hand with somebody in Vegas in a 50-100 game, turned over my pocket AA after betting and being called on the end (flush on board, I had top set). I said "I have a flush" - really out of disgust, not to shoot an angle, and the guy mucked his hand. The dealer scooped it up, but then he realized it. Too late. Pot mine. This was not a small pot, BTW, but I can see how it could happen. It was awesome, BTW.