PDA

View Full Version : Stupid laydown?

ron dogg
11-19-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm starting to think so, here's the deal.

30 dollar rebuy, blinds are 400/800 ante is 50. my stack 15k or so the avg stack is 13k.

New to the table, big stack who has raised a good bit makes it 2600 to go. I hold AKo on the button. I smooth call. In position, i don't think its a terrible play.

The small blind moves all in. Who has me well covered and can put a big dent in the big stack. Big stack goes in the tank and folds. I laid it down.

It just smelled like a huge hand to me. And even with the fold i still had chips to compete with. My goal is to win the tourney. I had no read on the sb here.

The math here: 1700 in blinds and antes. 2600+ 2600= 6900 dead chips and its about 12k more to me.
12,000 + 6900 = 18,900.
i'm getting 1.6:1 or so on my money.
What to you boys do here?

Thanks in advance.
Ron-

-Syk-
11-19-2004, 06:12 AM
Good laydown.

Boris
11-19-2004, 06:29 AM
after you called it was an OK laydown. However, I disagree that your preflop call was ok. AK is a great hand but not good enough to call over 15% of your stack. I think you should come over the top for half your stack or move all in.

zaxx19
11-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Ya i think IF you are gonna play with AK here you are gonna have too reraise and probably move in if necessary. Mucking doesnt seem correct. I think you kind off got caught in between and this time it saved you alot of agony but generally im not one too smooth call here. If things are just going really well and your table is easily navigated mucking here might not be as bad a play as it might appear to be at first glance. Im not saying i would muck this but there is alot to be said for staying out of fights with larger stacks at this point in the tourney.

SossMan
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I think the stack sizes are important here. If SB has 100k and the big stack has 105k, and you have 15k, it's much different than if they both have 20k.

You are going to have to put him on exactly AA-JJ/AK for that fold to be correct. You better hope he isn't doing that w/ AQs.
Remember, he knows that the big stack is bullying, too. Your flat call probably doesn't scare him much.
I'm not saying its a bad laydown, but my inclination is to call there vs. most opponents. I would have to have a read that the SB is tight out of position to lay down there.

ron dogg
11-20-2004, 05:32 PM
I hear you soss, that's exactly what I had him on. The big stack here was somewhere around the 35k range and the sb had somewhere around 25k. I found myself saying to myself what fischman was saying to himself against brunson with his AK. "I wish I would have done that". I probably make the sb fold AK and JJ. The rest call. As it turned out, my read of the big stack my have been off and he was just on a rush, everyone who played back at him was looking at a hand.

Do those stack sizes change anything?

Ron-

Roman
11-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I pretty much always re-raise this preflop, but once you called, I would probably lean to calling here for reasons already mentioned. A fold isn't terrible either though.

RobGW
11-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Unless he has AA or KK you are getting 1.6 to 1 with a 45% chance to win? After cold calling a raise? I don't like a fold here. Take the gamble and try to double up. If you do, you stand a better chance of winning. That being said, I would have pushed immediatley. This is a big and you should try to take it down pre-flop if you can. Even if called, you still have a good shot at it.

JaBlue
11-20-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd call here. Sossman really nailed the reasons why with his post. 1.61$ is really a great price to be playing AK for.

zaxx19
11-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Depends on how you feel your table is..If the table is overly agressive and you feel like youll be forced to gamble in any event youd be better off gambling here with actually good odds with AK. If on the other hand you think youll be able too steal and bully and generally survive I might lay here...This iss really a marginal situation for me and I dont agree thats this is a simple push or muck.