PDA

View Full Version : Tournament situation

marley81
11-18-2004, 10:41 PM
4 people are left, top 3 get paid. You have AQ o/s and two people are all in in front of you, one of the two has your stack covered. Do you call in this situation?

willie
11-18-2004, 10:58 PM
actual stack sizes are kind of important too.

Phill S
11-18-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4 people are left, top 3 get paid. You have AQ o/s and two people are all in in front of you, one of the two has your stack covered. Do you call in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

im glad to see all 5 of us who have voted chose no.

if you dont understand why its no then you need to introduce yourfself to mr search function.

Phill

MrMon
11-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Interesting situation. Ironically, I had something similar happen twice in one game last night with 5 players remaining.

1st Instance:

100/200 blinds

UTG (895) folds
MrSupertight (2520) bets 600
Hero (3815) AQo
SB (1825)
BB (645)

What to do? I'm big stack, sure, but MrSupertight hasn't played a hand in 30 deals. I have a history on him, and his aggression rating is as close to zero as possible. He got his stack by tripling up on the first hand and has been sitting ever since. If it came to heads up, I'm sure I have the advantage. And I've got two relatively small stacks that have to play soon. The sudden raise can only mean he's got a big pair. And I've got nothing in the pot. I fold. The blinds fold also, netting him 300.

2nd Instance:

Same Game
150/300 blinds

MrSupertight (1170)
Hero (3275) AQs
Number 3 (1975)
SB (1090)
BB (2040)

MrSupertight's stack has clearly deteriorated. He has never raised, only limped in on a few pots, and folded to aggressive betting post-flop. First to act, he goes all-in. With AQs, I've clearly got a strong hand, but when MrSupertight goes all-in, that can only mean a big pair. The best I could reasonably hope for is JJ or less, and that's a coin flip. I fold.

End result of the hand is again, everyone folds to him.

How does the tourney end? MrSupertight winds up 5th. I get 2nd, probably because I play too tight to make the money and wind up with only 2215 going into the final 3. But I do make it, and I'll take $60 over $0 any day.

stupidsucker
11-19-2004, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actual stack sizes are kind of important too.

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all, because

[ QUOTE ]
one of the two has your stack covered

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all you need to know to make the correct play.