PDA

View Full Version : Bears should cover spread this week

wsop21
11-18-2004, 10:00 PM
I think all you sports betters out there should take bears covering.

Bob L
11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I was under the impression that the Bears were good at stopping the run and against the pass the were very weak.Manning is a witch and Indy pass is almost unstoppable which makes me think that Indy will blowout Chicago this week.

WC64
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I took Indy, thinking that the Bears pass defense isnt very good. I could be wrong though.

JohnShaft
11-19-2004, 06:54 PM
No Bob. The Bears Pass Defense isn't a problem, at all.
It's currently ranked 12th, and has been playing at a top 5 level the last 5 games.
In fact the Run Defense was the porous bit, up until the SF game, and the winning streak, 3 weeks ago.
The Defensive now seems able to stop the run, and has really started bringing the heat on opposing QB's.
They've given up an average of 180 yards passing the last 5 games. (And that's with NO Offense to keep them off the field).

The problem, as is common with the Bears, still lies with the Offense. If Krenzel is as inept as last week (<20 Passser Rating) then the Bears will be in real trouble, no matter how well the Defense plays.

Good news for the Bears side of the point spread is they've been in every single game they've played at the death. So if they do get blown out it will be the first time of the season.

Thomas Jones returns from injury and the gameplan will be to run the ball down the Colts throat to keep Manning off the field as much as possible.
Urlacher out will be a blow to the Defense, but then they've lost a number of starters and have only gotten better. The Bears are expected to actually replace him with a DB (as the Patriots have done) for much of the game. So it may even work in the Bears favour facing the Colts.

If Krenzel can keep the Colts Defense honest and get some yards against the 2nd worst Passing D in the league, then there's no reason the Bears can't keep close to the Colts with another strong defensive effort. Even perhaps enough to win the game.

I noticed loads of people picked the Colts -7 line this week like it was automatic. I think it might not be as much of a blowout as many seem to expect.
The Bears at home, going for their 4th win in a row, against a horrible Pass D, with T.Jones back...
All I'm saying is "don't bet the house on this one". It really could go either way, and it's certainly not close to a banker (unless Krenzel sucks horribly again).

smartalecc5
11-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Im going to the bears game this weekend, im pumped! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob L
11-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Wow -I predited one...doesn't happen often so I better milk it for all its worth.

JohnShaft
11-22-2004, 03:14 AM
Hah, well done Bob.
Although the Bears Run D decided they needed to give the game up, like they'd done pre-winning streak. James gashed them for a 200 yard game on low 20's carries. Horrid.
Manning was a human 17/28 for 211, 4tds, and a pick.

I was shouting for Krenzel's replacement last week, but hoped that his play then was just an abberation. Sadly he looked just as brutal this week.

The D will bounce back from it, but with Vikes and Pack wins it's going to be tough for them, even if they do, somehow, find an Offense.

Krenzel is starting next week. That is a factor that ways over any other in betting on future Bears games. The guy is fully capable of being so inept that he can lose games single handedly that would be won with just an average sucky QB.