PDA

View Full Version : NL HE hand

10-17-2001, 11:50 AM
Hello,

recently playing in a NL HE tournament, 50+ entrants, down to last 18, with last 9 making the money. Blinds are currently 800 - 1500, and I'm on the BB with stack of ~14,000. Haven't really had much luck so far, but managing the odd steal.

Anyway, a couple of novices at the table (I'm not much past novice myself!) who limp in, so does SB who is solid player. I have QJo, and don't raise.

Flop comes QT8 rainbow. I know it's quite possible someone holds J9 with no preflop raise, but the 2 novices are fequently scared by dangerous looking boards, so I risk it and bet out 5,000. One dies, second one thinks bout it and calls, SB folds. Phew!! The caller has stack of about 25000-30000, but is not good player - has been calling (never raising) with second pairs, drawing all night, and mostly filling something.

Turn comes 7 - I check, to see where I stand - I think he'd check a pair, and bet a draw, 'coz that's his style. Obviously also bet a straight, but he just called the flop - with the nuts I'm sure he'd have raised, considering my stack. He bets 5,000!

Now I'm sure he's drawing or has he made a straight - but 7 doesn't make any hand that wasn't already made i.e J9, so I raise all in.

He calls, shows KJ,

river is K and I'm out!!

ANy analysis appreciated, as I'm new to this myself.

Thanks!

10-17-2001, 08:15 PM
with at least four in the pot and no raise before the flop, that particular flop fits most of the hands that may call the blind. so you have a thin hand but you thought it out well and played fine. but i may have bet out on fouth street to shut him out as you may have not wanted action any further in this pot as its already decent sized and you dont have alot left to bet for a big gain, and the loss hurts more than the extra gain gets as you found out.

10-18-2001, 12:06 PM
Thanks Ray - great to get an opinion on my play from someone like yourself!