PDA

View Full Version : more advice about scotch needed

cnfuzzd
11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
So i am obligated to two gentlemen who have always been fairly decent to me. One, the owner of the business where i had my dayjob, is a nice, southern gentleman-type who somehow got tied into a restaurant and doesnt seem to enjoy it a whole lot. He has always forgiven me my eccentricities and irresponsiblities,(and there have been many of both) and was always there for me if i needed just about anything. The other, another old dude, is probably the only person ive met over the age of fifty who i can morally and politically identify with. He is a retired DFS administrator, favors abortion, doesnt believe in god, and hates bush. My kind of guy. He is probably one of the main reasons i am still sane, since my otherwise christian bible belt surrondings are maddening. Just a cool guy who came into my work and enjoyed that i hated everything around me.
So, i want to get them both drunk. Or at least a good bottle of scotch. I was curious if one of you crazy scotch-drinkers could suggest a good couple of bottles in the 70-100 dollars price range. From what ive been able to find out, niether are "experienced" scotch drinkers, its just the drink of choice. Thanks.

peace

john nickle

HDPM
11-18-2004, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't go with anything really outrageous, i.e. peaty etc.... if they aren't hardcore. If I had to buy a bottle of scotch for someone I didn't know, but who liked scotch, I would get a nice bottle of Macallan, not the cask strength probably. If they know anything at all about scotch they will appreciate it even if it isn't their favoritest ever. If they don't like it they will be happy enough, but odds are they will like it. So I'd go with an old Macallan as a default choice.

Ulysses
11-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Do a search. The last two scotch threads had good recommendations.

Balvenie and Macallan are my two default choices for people who like scotch but don't drink it much. Balvenie does a 12yo (DoubleWood) for about $35 and a 21yo (PortWood) for about $75. Macallan has a number of offerings in the $40 to $100 range. Both the "regular" and "Fine Oak" finishes are great. Basically, any of the bottles mentioned would be a great choice. If you want to spend $70+ on them, great, but the $40 bottles from Balvenie and Macallan are also really good. I prefer giving Balvenie since it's often something people haven't tried before.

Iceman
11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Macallan 18 year, Balvenie 15 year, or Johnny Walker Gold.

spamuell
11-19-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Johnny Walker Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to posting about poker, you're way better at that.

Mano
11-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Macallan and Oban are very good. If they like Islay's (my personal favorites) then Laugavulin and Bowmore (12yr is good, 17 yr sublime).

ethan
11-19-2004, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Macallan and Oban are very good. If they like Islay's (my personal favorites) then Laugavulin and Bowmore (12yr is good, 17 yr sublime).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Islay bottlings will probably be a bit more peaty than what he's looking for, although they're among my favorites as well. Diablo said most of what I was going to tell you...the Macallan 18 and Balvenie 21 portwood are both fantastic.

Of course, a "southern gentleman-type" might more appreciate a bottle of the Black Maple Hill bourbon. (16, 18, or 21yo...I can vouch for the first two but haven't had the last)

PokerNoob
11-19-2004, 02:46 PM
JWG is, I believe, a blend of 18 y.o. single malts with probably Cardhu dominating since they own that distillery. I haven't tasted it. If your considering a gift for a blended scotch drinker who doesn't know the single malts, a luxury bottling from a famous blended whisky name might impress more.

junkmail3
11-19-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The other, another old dude, is probably the only person ive met over the age of fifty who i can morally and politically identify with . He is a retired DFS administrator, favors abortion, doesnt believe in god, and hates bush

[/ QUOTE ]

What a shame.

Wayfare
11-19-2004, 03:54 PM
No offense, but don't southern gentlemen prefer burbon to scotch? It was always my impression that scotch is a yankee drink.

Anyway, I really enjoy McCallan 18, although it is a little pricey for everyday use -- but seems perfect for your stated purpose.

My friend just gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year "select," which was very smooth but didn't have any character. Seemed very good for a non-scotch drinker though.

cnfuzzd
11-19-2004, 04:11 PM
eh, we all have our foibles. Unless you are refering to bush in the slang sense, in which case we also have similar ideas, most of them involving most women being [censored] insane. Most. He does have this asian thing though....

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
i asked him about the whole bourbon thing, and he said it was just never his style. his exact words. I dont know what that means, but either way, you gotta respect a white-haired man that says that.

peace

john nickle

junkmail3
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Haha, yeah. I was referring to the slang.