PDA

View Full Version : AJo UTG makes 2nd pair with turn action

PokerNoob
11-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Crypto 2/4, 5 handed

I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif UTG and open raise. CO folds, Button coldcalls, SB folds, BB calls. BB is bad, Button is not terribly loose, sort of passive (raises draws on turn, calls top pair on turn, but also makes turn folds).

7sb Flop: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet, both call

5BB Turn: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif [Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif]

BB checks, I bet, Button calls, BB raises all-in....

The allin checkraise here is ultrafishy in a raised, protected pot, but opponent was ultrafishy. Can I win the hand or a sidepot from button with 2nd pair top kicker? If he's drawing, he either beats me or folds the river. I have no idea which outs are clean if I'm behind. If I 3-bet here, I'm pretty sure he'll call down top pair. Folding seems wrong though. Call/check call?

PokerNoob
11-19-2004, 12:43 AM
This is either a stupid question with an obvious answer, or one of those 50/50 things thats not worth discussing. Would results stimulate anything?

naphand
11-19-2004, 05:53 AM
In this spot I usally raise to build a side pot. I never trust all-in raises, if BB does have a Q and you are behind then it is less likely Button has a Q, so raise. If BB has no Q and is drawing then your pot equity is pretty good. Button may call with TP but from your read, he would call with a lot of other hands too, and you are beating the large majority of them.

Can you get away with checking the River unimproved? or will Button auto-bet this?

PokerNoob
11-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, I don't know. If I don't build a side pot (and get enough in it to make it worthwile if BB's got me beat), then I've got to dodge them both. The thing is that if button was drawing and hit on the river, he would raise or bet if checked to. He would fold otherwise. If he's got top pair, he'll call and bet if checked to. So, I'm risking two more to either win just two, lose three or lose four if I feel I've got to call a raise (which I don't). He may also choose this time to do something crazy like cap the turn. I felt with my read that I was pretty much ready to put him on a Q, with no upside, and a lot more downside if he had AQ or the J hearts wasn't clean. I folded.

The river came a King. Button filled on his flush/OESD combo with T9. BB had a worse Jack. JT, I think. Not suited. I felt quite foolish.

naphand
11-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Console yourself with the thought that you saved yourself some $$ on this particular hand.