PDA

View Full Version : 1st hand of $10+1 SNG @ Stars

housenuts
11-18-2004, 05:56 PM
First hand I'm dealt AKo in the big blind. 4 limpers and then SB raises to 400. I re-raised all-in. Is this completely stupid? There generally are a bunch of idiots in these things and you'd have to figure AK is at least a race. Is it worth doing this?

Needless to say he had KK. I caught an A but that's not the point.

Unarmed
11-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Of course, push that every time.
If you're in doubt, keep a running tally of the hands you see going all in on level one of any $5 or $10. I think its criminal not to push AK in that spot.

spazm6666
11-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I may get flamed for this but I say lay it down. The ONLY hands I am all-in with first hand (or very early for that matter) of a 10+1 are AA and KK. I have even laid down QQ when it has been for more than half my stack. WHY????? Because you are behind more than 50% of the time. At a 10 person table you are going to get callers who have you beat. AK is a great hand but it needs to improve. MTT rebuy tourneys are a different story. One post I read said it best, "you are playing to win Money, not Pots." Losing a battle to win the war.

Over my last 350+ sngos I am over 40% ITM if that protects me in any way....

spaz

NotMitch
11-18-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First hand I'm dealt AKo in the big blind. 4 limpers and then SB raises to 400. I re-raised all-in. Is this completely stupid? There generally are a bunch of idiots in these things and you'd have to figure AK is at least a race. Is it worth doing this?

Needless to say he had KK. I caught an A but that's not the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id fold it.

lorinda
11-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I may get flamed for this but I say lay it down.

I will often fold this, sometimes I'll take the gamble.

Here's why...

There generally are a bunch of idiots in these things and you'd have to figure AK is at least a race.

"Never give a sucker an even break"

However, the case for pushing is also okay, you may screw up your ROI, but you will increase your hourly rate as the hand is probably +EV.

However if you always played it this way, your long term ROI will go down.

It is mood dependent for me because I'm sometimes happy to play a new game and gamble, and sometimes I'm after a confidence boosting ITM.

Lori

Irieguy
11-18-2004, 06:54 PM
There are many more chips to be won from players who are uninterested in a pot than from players who are interested. Don't let the pot size fool in this regard.

Irieguy