PDA

View Full Version : turn decision

10-12-2001, 08:35 PM
No limit holdem tournment, rebuy period has ended and the blinds are at $25/50. All fold to the button who calls (stack $2500), I call in the small blind (stack $1100) with 8c7c, and the BB taps the table (stack about $1800). Flop comes 853 with two hearts. I bet $200, BB flat calls, and the button folds. Turn is a Ten which puts 2 of diamonds on the board. What is my play?

The BB is a excellent player and will almost certainly bet if I check. His call of the flop means either a draw or that he has flopped at least two pair. A bet of of $400/500 may not be enough to make him fold a flush draw if he has overcards (assuming that the Ten did not already pair him.

10-13-2001, 09:32 AM
Assuming your read on him is correct, you have 2 viable options.

Play it safe and check-fold.

Go all-in and hope he doesn't have that 2-pair you're worried about.

Which one is correct depends upon your read of him, and not much else.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-13-2001, 12:36 PM
Greg,

If Calvin's read is correct (that his opponent will bet if he checks), wouldn't he do better to check-raise all-in than bet all-in because he loses to two pair either way but gets it in with the best of it (or takes down the extra bet) when his opponent is drawing ?

Andy.

10-13-2001, 12:40 PM
Doh ! Think for a minute first, then make complete post :-).

However you do it (see above) I think if you are going to play then you want it all-in on the turn. There are two draws your opponent can have on the flop, and another back-door on the turn, and if he's a good player he could definitely miss the straight but bluff because the third heart comes, for example. If there is more than one draw your opponent could have then you don't want to play guessing games on the river if he is a good player. Conversely, if you are drawing at a straight with a flush draw on board (or vice versa) you can potentially make both draws play for you if you are clever (and don't try it against the wrong opponent).

Andy.

10-13-2001, 01:00 PM
Plus his opponent is more likely to fold to a check raise if he doesn't have half his chips in, he may decide to call the all-in, sensing weakness. Anyway, once that 10 comes i'd be done with the hand, u can get out without taking to bad a hit.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

10-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Well I have thought for a minute and am not sure what you mean by a complete post unless you want the results. I do not know what he had as I folded to his expected bet when I checked the turn.

I did like your above response as an alternative play. The only downside I see is that I will be giving up the chance to make him fold his draw by going all in on the turn.

10-13-2001, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I meant that my own initial post wasn't complete. I have a bad habit of posting the first thing that comes into my head and then thinking of something else two minutes later.

Andy.