PDA

View Full Version : Folding

Diboss
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
When do I fold? so many times I'll have something decent like TPWK and I'll bet the flop, get raised, which would suggest that this person also has top pair with a better kicker, but I'll check-call to the river to make sure. There's also other instances where I think I may be beaten, but I call to make sure. Is this a good strategy?

BusterStacks
11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When do I fold? so many times I'll have something decent like TPWK and I'll bet the flop, get raised, which would suggest that this person also has top pair with a better kicker, but I'll check-call to the river to make sure. There's also other instances where I think I may be beaten, but I call to make sure. Is this a good strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is a loaded question. If you have TPWK in EP, perhaps you need to reevaluate your starting hand selection. If you are in late position, then are you being check raised? I would have to assume the raise comes from behind you. I definitely wouldn't put your opponent on a hand that beats you, particularly in a heads up scenario, unless you have an excellent read. I mean, I am often raising with overcards, flush draws, MPGK etc, just for the free card.

Diboss
11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm a fairly tight player, so this situation would only arise for me if I'm limping from the BB. Gary Carson recommends betting that TPWK, but if everyone keeps calling after you, no re-raising, do you just keep betting to the river?

BusterStacks
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
yes.

Wreck
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
If you are uncomfortable betting top pair weak kicker to the river, you could try check/raising a late position bettor, then leading the turn to try to take it there. Otherwise check/folding if a bet comes immediately. This may seem weak/tight, but if it's a king or ace and you're playing a 6 kicker, someone has you beat more often than not. I think this may be more effective with more players on the flop with you, but less effective than just betting out with less players.

BusterStacks
11-18-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are uncomfortable betting top pair weak kicker to the river, you could try check/raising a late position bettor, then leading the turn to try to take it there. Otherwise check/folding if a bet comes immediately. This may seem weak/tight, but if it's a king or ace and you're playing a 6 kicker, someone has you beat more often than not. I think this may be more effective with more players on the flop with you, but less effective than just betting out with less players.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a weak kicker, I am not willing to have it checked through.

Freakin
11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a weak kicker, I am not willing to have it checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm ahead until someone tells me otherwise. It would be unlikely that I would 3-bet or cap a flop with TPWK unless the raiser was always overly agressive with trash.

Freakin