PDA

View Full Version : I don't think it is stealing!

heavybody
11-18-2004, 03:39 PM
I was reading the mp3 thread and a lot of people seemed to feel that downloading mp3 files was stealing. I have used file sharing software in the past to acquire music and I never felt I was stealing. Stealing from whom? when I download a file that was made available by someone else they have broken the law not me, I MAY BE guilty of "receiving stolen property" but not stealing. I have several legal copies of cd's I have purchased and have never made them available for filesharing, that would be illegal.( In other words somebody made it available for public consumption but it wasn't me,therefore,I feel that I legally acquired an illegal copy,assuming it is in fact illegal). It seems to me that the basic premise of people who claim it is stealing is that every file sharer assumes that all files of music they download are illegal copies,I don't make this assumption.

I was once browsing a guy's shared folder and he had an entire Adobe photoshop suite available for download, was it an illegal copy? I don't know. If I were to have downloaded it(which I didn't)would I be stealing?,I don't think so, again, maybe receiving stolen property. And I don't lump pirated software and music in the same categories for the same reason that there are petty theft and grand theft distinctions made in criminal law. One is a more serious crime then the other imo.

If somebody robs a bank or whatever and then goes around and hands you or any annonymous bystander the proceeds of his crime how could you be guilty of the original crime? To me there is a difference between stealing and receiving stolen goods. Every bit of software on my computer is legal, either oem,shareware ,freeware or a retail purchase so I don't advocate stealing the hardwork of people who contribute content to our world...just wanted to clariy some terms.

Here is a question I would like answered...Several years ago I had approximately 100 legally purchased(by me) vinyl albums which I threw away when I moved because I had sold my stereo and was moving and would no longer need them.
Some were old and worn and some I was tired of(tastes change). Anyways, in the last couple of years I have downloaded some songs that were on albums I bought. Am I legally entitled to a copy of those songs?

BusterStacks
11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the basic premise of people who claim it is stealing is that every file sharer assumes that all files of music they download are illegal copies,I don't make this assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, every music file you download IS an illegal copy. CD copyright laws prevent unauthorized DUPLICATION. duh... and remember, posession is 9/10ths of the law. In your bank robbing scenario, if the innocent bystander keeps the money or spends even 1$ of it, then yes he is guilty of the orignial crime. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for downloading free music, but your argument is retarded.