PDA

View Full Version : Excerpt from Harrington on Hold 'em

Spladle Master
11-18-2004, 01:44 PM
No, I don't have one, but I could have SWORN that I saw one when Mason posted on a thread about folding KK. Dan said that he even thought the guy had aces, and he still didn't fold.

Now I can't find that post, and I don't know if it got deleted or what, but it's driving me crazy.

Am I insane? Did I just imagine this? Or did it get deleted?

Freakin
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
My friend jokingly said the book would be about 2 sentences long.

"Fold everything but pocket Aces. Occasionally bluff at pots with rags."

Freakin

Yobz
11-18-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend jokingly said the book would be about 2 sentences long.

"Fold everything but pocket Aces. Occasionally bluff at pots with rags."

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Its gotta be book length though, you need chapters and stuff:

Chapter 1: Folding
Preflop: Fold everything but Group 1 hands
Flop: Fold if you miss unless you are sure they missed too, then bet and fold to more aggression

Chapter 2: Folding
See Chapter 1

Chapter 3: Folding
See Chapter 2

Chapter 8237: Folding
See Chapter 8236

The end

JohnG
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=952486&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=harrington%20KK&Searchpage=0& Limit=99999&Main=945829&Search=true&where=bodysub& Name=3&daterange=1&newerval=3&newertype=m&olderval =&oldertype=&bodyprev=1#Post952486

By the way, I'm working on Dan Harrington's first book, Harrington on Hold ’em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments; Volume I: Strategic Play, right at the moment, and he addresses this issue. Here's what he has to say on it:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of players will tell you stories about the times they folded K-K because they knew their opponent was raising with A-A. Here’s my story. About a year ago, a tight player in the big blind raised me. I actually thought he had aces. I was in early position with a pair of Kings. I made a modest raise and he reraised me. I thought a long time and called. The flop came three small cards, and he bet a modest amount and I called. He actually had the aces.

I almost threw the hand away, but I couldn’t do it. Just not savvy enough. Even bets and raises that seem to indicate great strength can have a variety of explanations, from moderately strong hands to outright bluffs. And here’s a little secret from the world of top-class poker. Nobody else is that savvy either, no matter what they tell you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------