PDA

View Full Version : How should this have been played

KenProspero
11-18-2004, 01:23 PM
I was somewhat at a loss as to how to play Flop, and a bigger loss as to how to play Turn. Comments would be appreciated.

First hand of a tourneyment, hero is a relative newbie:

Button: 1500T
SB: 1500T
Hero: 1500T
EP1: 1500T
EP2: 1500T
EP3: 1500T
MP1: 1500T
MP2: 1500T
MP3: 1500T
CO: 1500T

Hero dealt 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB posts 25, Hero(BB) posts 50

EP1 Folds, EP2 calls, EP3 Folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO Folds, Button Calls, SB Calls, Hero Checks.

(Ok, checking was easy here)

6 remain, pot - 300T

Flop -- 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks Hero bets 200, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

My thoughts -- Here's where I begin to get lost. I know a minimum bet isn't going to accomplish anything. Unless I decide to get out of the hand, I have to make a bet that gets me information and/or drive out some drawing hands. Apparantly, my 200T bet didn't get a whole lot of respect, but no one's raising either -- I assume that I'm up against a Ace or Two, maybe A-4 (in which case I'm beat), but there's a good shot I have the best hand here.

4 remaining, Pot = 1100T.

Turn 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero pushes all-in, all fold.

I'm honestly not sure whether this was briliant or idiotic. The plan, to take the pot right there worked, but my question, was the plan sound?

My thoughts, If I was ahead before, I may still be ahead. A-3 or A-4 beats me. Though it's possible that betting big causes A-4 to fold (optimistic or foolish?). Betting big also probably knocks out any flush draws. So, I saw the decision as bet big , or fold to any bet.

Comments (be gentle if it was really stupid).

stillnotking
11-18-2004, 02:20 PM
From your play, it looks like you are more used to limit poker than NL.

Betting the flop was terrible since you are at best slightly ahead, possibly way behind, and will get called by flush draws, straight draws and some overcards. Winning the pot right there is very unlikely and your position sucks. A scare card falling on a later round leaves you vulnerable to a steal even if it doesn't beat you. I would have checked and folded the flop.

texasrattlers
11-19-2004, 01:47 AM
This hand is not worth betting after the flop the first few rounds of a tourney.

However , this brings up an interesting thing about poker. Once or twice I have accidentaly raised when I meant to fold, and, being committed at that point, decided to play hyper-aggressive if called. And occasionally I can bluff the table away from a pot. As an originally VERY tight player (as I guess most newbies are), this was an enlightenment to me that you can win pots no matter what your cards, since ("DUH!" to the pros) the other players don't know what cards you have!

But you should not bet this flop and fold to any displayed stength.

Just the way I see things now.

tigerite
11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Yep, I agree.. used to be quite a big leak in my game which I've now fixed.