PDA

View Full Version : allrighty...lets get some late game tourney tips

10-09-2001, 06:44 PM
Lots of discussion around here in specific situations...let me give my general situation.

Start a tournament...I play pretty tight...usually in accordance with Mccovey and T.J. Cloutier's limit holdem book...I generally catch a good hand or two and move up...but the lucky players and steamrollers are way ahead.

Fast forward...down to the last two tables - money going to the last table.....I'm probably one of the shortest stacks on the board unless I'm real lucky....

When and where do I make a stand...General discussion is any Ace - High hand with a decent kicker will do...and it should be when you're stack is down to about 4 times the big blind...and then you just jam it.

I personally like suited connectors like 10-J ...I feel like I've got a bit more of a draw...maybe I'm wrong here...but I'd rather have those opportunities to have a flush/straight or pair/two pair draw then a hand that has only three outs for the Ace, and maybe three for the other kicker. Of course, if I snag a pair...then I'm almost golden.

I'm usually "almost making it" to the money...except for one time I placed 3rd...once I'm at the final table...no limit strategy evens things out a bit...but what do we do when the tables are dropping and we're getting down.

Just a general discussion...nothing in particular came up to provoke this...just trying to get a feel for the later stages of the tournament when tightening up and stealing blinds become the order of the day.

10-09-2001, 11:35 PM
When you go all-in, you prefer a hand that has a reasonable chance of winning unimproved; such as pairs and A high. While JTs has more chances of improving to a big hand than does 33, the 33 will win without improving MUCH more often.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)