PDA

View Full Version : Reading Poker Books in Class

MarkL444
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
I always feel weird when I read them in class, but Im getting used to it I guess. What do you think?

EDIT - College

deacsoft
11-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing that you attend Michigan State due to the location you've listed. So obviously that makes you an adult and a college student. So, I think it's completely up to you. However, I think how you're doing in the classes you're reading poker books in should serve as the bottom line.
I get the feeling you're like I was in school. You learn faster than everyone else and still have to sit through instruction that you understood two days ago. So to pass the time you do something else. I used to write music, short stories, screenplays, poetry, etc. Looking back now though I wish I would have been reading poker books. I would go further to say that, you're doing acceptable work in all classes that you're reading poker books in. So, tell me... am I even close to being right about this?

MarkL444
11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am I even close to being right about this?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that you attend Michigan State due to the location you've listed

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Im guessing you went to UW. Sorry bout your football team. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
[ QUOTE ]
You learn faster than everyone else and still have to sit through instruction that you understood two days ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, its more like, I dont learn very well by listening in class, I usually teach myself everything from the books. I prolly have ADD or something, but who doesnt?
[ QUOTE ]
you're doing acceptable work in all classes that you're reading poker books in

[/ QUOTE ]
I could do much better, but I keep my GPA above 3. I should care more.

You kinda misinterpereted the question though. The way youre thinking it could be any book that Im reading.

deacsoft
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
3.0+ is not bad at all. That amount you care is up to you. Personally, I always wanted the 4.0 or as close to it as I could get. So, I believe you're doing fine in school so you should do what you want with your time in class. I stand by my vote of: Nothing wrong with it.

Yes it would have been nice to see UW have a shot at a national title. I hate to break it to you but...

Sat. 09/18/2004 Notre Dame vs Michigan State; East Lansing, MI; aired on ESPN; final score 31-24 (Notre Dame)

I'm a Notre Dame football freak. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GO IRISH!

BaronVonCP
11-18-2004, 06:22 PM
I just don't go to class if I'm not going to pay attention.

MarkL444
11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't go to class if I'm not going to pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

mandatory

scrub
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Poker books--highly overrated.

Lectures--similarly underrated.

scrub

MarkL444
11-19-2004, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lectures--similarly underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are insane. sitting through lecture after lecture after lecture starts to suck after a while.

Mason Malmuth
11-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi Mark:

As long as you're reading Two Plus Two books I don't see any problem.

Best wishes,
Mason

ArchAngel71857
11-19-2004, 02:32 AM
If you go to Michigan State and your major is Packaging, read away, Sparty.

-AA

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 02:48 AM
how the hell could you be considered a dork for reading poker books?

MarkL444
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know. ask the majority.

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know. ask the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those that voted yes are lame as hell.

Cosimo
11-19-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those that voted yes are lame as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted yes, but who cares? This is a mostly pointless poll. The useful analysis is in the thread itself, where I'm going to say: it's a good idea. If attendance is mandatory, you might as well be doing something useful with your time.

HDPM
11-19-2004, 02:16 PM
I got burned by this once. In law school we had a moronic class with a prof who didn't want to teach it and got the course dumped on him a week before the semester started. So he said attendance wasn't mandatory and the final would be on the reading material only. I took him up on it because the subject was easy and class time was taken up by whackos arguing their feelings, and a three hour final to decide the whole grade was what I liked. Stroll in, spout some crap on paper, get the same grade you always get. So I missed around 6 weeks and came in one day to make sure I was caught up in the reading. I happened to be there when the class was about to start and my buddy was going in and I figured I might as well go once or twice. Well, by the luck of the draw, that was the day where the prof said that the final was going to cover class discussions. Oh, FU, F me. So I started attending some, took the final, got the same grade I always got anyway. What a bastard that guy was though. 7CSFAP may or may not have been in that classroom once or twice, I don't recall. The newspaper definitely made some appearances tho. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MarkL444
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
man, "nothing wrong with it" has made a monumental comeback. I think everyone is trying to follow in the Masons footsteps. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I think my statement that anyone that voted yes was lame as hell, may have something to do with it.

MarkL444
11-19-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think my statement that anyone that voted yes was lame as hell, may have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the results of this poll will have an enormous effect on my self-esteem.

i appreciate your efforts.

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the results of this poll will have an enormous effect on my self-esteem.

i appreciate your efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I support you.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
sorry to bump this up, but im curious about something.
anyone who voted dork, what do you think of reading CardPlayer magazine. is that any better or worse?

vetman81
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the idea, I cant believe I didnt think of it myself. I usually spend about 45 minutes every morning reading the school paper and doing the crossword, so I might as well be doing something productive /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the idea, I cant believe I didnt think of it myself. I usually spend about 45 minutes every morning reading the school paper and doing the crossword, so I might as well be doing something productive /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

the crosswords in our school paper are too friggin hard. if i get half of the letters filled in, im happy with myself. do you get the sports illustrated on campus on thursdays? the crosswords in there are more my level.

GoblinMason (Craig)
11-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I wasn't gong to chime in because my opinion has already been stated (I do it myself) but I have to say that I also look forward to the SIOC on Thursdays solely for the crossword. The NYT one is always way too hard for me.

-Craig

Luv2DriveTT
11-22-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mark:

As long as you're reading Two Plus Two books I don't see any problem.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

MASON!!!! You are corrupting a minor! What you should have said was "As long as you're reading Two Plus Two books and not attending MIT I don't see any problem"

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

vetman81
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
The crosswords in our paper are only slightly harder than those in the SIOC, so it isnt too bad...I can just about solve all of it within about 20 minutes. I havent tried to the one in the NYT though.

willie
11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
think that's bad i play one sit and go every session of my comm class

class is boring as an mf. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif