PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Pinapple Hand

10-08-2001, 02:33 PM
Free T3000 buyin, torney starts with T100/T250 blinds so everyone is short stacked from the very beginning. Rebuys are T4000 (unlimited) and one optional T8000 addon after the break. Since the initial buyin is free (modulo a small sign up fee), I am not intending to rebuy. The game is usually very loose but normally not too aggressive.

Second hand in the torney, 8 players, I am in the small blind (T100) with T2650 chips remaining. Cutoff opens with a pot sized raise (T850), button folds, I got AsQc7c and decide to call.

Big blind folds, I surrender the 7c and the flops comes ace-rag-rag rainbow giving me top pair w/ 2nd best kicker. I bet my remaining T1900 into the T1950 pot. Cutoff calls and we show our cards.

Comments? Results follow.

cu

Ignatius

10-08-2001, 03:36 PM
Sure enough, the cutoff turned over AA, took down the pot and knocked me out after 5min into the torney.

I don't think that I've made much of a mistake by leading out on the flop, although check-calling/raising all-in might have made him bet a small pair which he would otherwise fold. (Would you ever consider folding toppair w/ 2nd best kicker at this point?)

I'm not so sure about my preflop call, though. I figure, that a call (or even a reraise) would have been ok in a Hold'em game, but I don't have any experiance with pineapple and I understand that big offsuit hands go down in value. (btw: anybody knows about good online resources about pineapple?)

cu

Ignatius

10-09-2001, 09:56 AM
I'm certainly no pineapple expert. But I suspect that AQ is to be considered a rag hand in this game. I mean, think about it. What would you openraise with (unless you were stealing)? I'd probably say AA/KK/AKs. QQ/JJ I might openraise in late position.

This might be way to tight though but as I said, pineapple isn't my strong point.

On the flop you're probably stuck, but I like the check/call, check/raise move more. Because he will not call without an ace but he might desperately bet a pair.

Sincerely, Andreas

10-11-2001, 04:52 PM
why play this hand ? if you do have a strong feel that he is stealing raise, if you don't, get rid of it fast. out of position having called for about 35% of your chips when you don't know what you want to flop is exactly the type of situation you hate in PL/NL.

10-15-2001, 05:55 PM