PDA

View Full Version : bad call/muck - knocked out two places from the $?

10-06-2001, 03:45 PM
He're a situation I got into last week...75 players in a tournament...

Early in I get A-K and raise preflop...flop is 3 rags...I check - someone bets...and it gets to me heads-up - I decide to muck it face up...kinda partially cause I could tell he had at least one pair...and partially to build up an image as a super anal-tight player. Now they'll think I won't draw on them...which is totally untrue sometimes and made me about $500 bucks two hands later.

Well, as you can imagine...that player kept taking cheap shots verbally all night at that point...I pretty much ignore him...I know it was the right laydown after the flop...and I know he had the odds to win with his made pair...so screw him. (he makes comments like "hope you're always on my left" - ) - I'm just waiting for my chance.

fast forward...12 players left at two tables...getting really close to the cutoff of 9. I'm BB and he's SB. (Chip leader is on my left and she knows me well...no blind stealing there) -

everyone mucks, but he raises....blinds are 1000-2000 and I have about 8000 - he's got about 6000. So when he raises...he's got two left. I can muck and bring us even or call..

I figure he's stealing...he think's I'm real tight. I have K-2 suited. I think I have the overcard. I call

flop comes 7-3-7 - he bets...I call. he's all in.

He has 2-3 offsuit. Lots of players who don't know our history can't believe this...but it happened. He pretty much breaks me and I'm out next hand.

questions.

1. Knowing this player is going to bully me...should I have called with my BB at this late stage. Bear in mind...I've got to try to win one or two before I'm knocked out. I'm on the rail against big stacks

2. Should I have just raised preflop...I thought I'd leave myself an out...of course..I just walked into his 3's after the flop...but jeez louise. Anyone who'll sacrifice 2/3rd's of his stack preflop will probably throw it all in.

3. was the laying down of A-K face up a bad idea to begin with? I'm trying to alter my image of play a bit...and I thought this was a good way to do it...

4. at least this guy was predictable...what would I have done had I not known him and thought he was just betting a good hand? Still a good call?

Only thing I would have done differently was pop him again preflop...I'm screwed if he wins anyway...maybe I could have gotten a muck out of him...but maybe not.

10-07-2001, 03:38 AM
I believe your thinking was fine but you tried to spring the trap without any bait. Your laydown of the AK was okay. As you describe it, it was the right play and it served to create a false image. I think your call with K-2 was faulty though. If the money were deeper you might try a raise, but as you said in this situation you can't scare him away. You said you only called to "leave myself an out" but then you flopped nothing and called anyway. I think his comments did get to you a little. Otherwise you could have swallowed your pride and folded on the flop, giving you five more hands to come up with something better. At least you're thinking about the game. This gives you a big advantage over most of your opponents...Aloha...Goatboy

10-07-2001, 11:40 AM
You were in a tough spot, where all choices look bad, and the question is, which one is the least bad?

Was there any chance he'd fold preflop if you reraised? He shouldn't, but would he ever? If there was, do it. Your hand is likely best, because given your description of the player and the situation, he was going to raise with anything.

If he wouldn't fold no matter what, would he check if he missed the flop (ever)? If so, you just call, and then you bet any flop that he checks, no matter what it is.

I don't think folding was correct, unless finishing 9th place is very important to you. You're better off playing this hand, and trying to build your stack.

Later, Greg Raymer (fossilMan)

10-07-2001, 07:22 PM
If your read on the guys was truly as defined as you say it was, no doubts, then you made the right call, easy. Sometimes the Poker Gods just don't smile on us! He simply hit his 3.1275 outer. LOL

Keep playing hard!

10-09-2001, 12:44 PM
1) I think the issue here is that you must realize you are committed when you call his raise. Is there a situation you will fold to his last 2k bet? Probably not. You know he will bet or call. If your 2 was a bigger card then I would certainly call the raise and bet out on the flop. With K2 I probably muck since it is possible he has a decent hand or even a lone ace.

2) I wouldn't raise with your K2s.

3) I would never muck face-up.

Ken Poklitar