PDA

View Full Version : Ackward stack sizes

soah
11-18-2004, 05:33 AM
Party 1/2 6-max

One limper, I raise to $8 with AA. Some guy calls me and the limper folds.

Flop Jxx.

I bet $16 and he calls.

Turn K.

There's $50 in the pot and we've each got around $75 left.

Lately I've been betting about half of my remaining chips on the turn and half on the river but that feels really bad. No matter what I bet on the turn I'm pot committed and no better hand is folding so I have to find some balance where I can coax players into calling me down with one pair but still protect myself against draws (and one pair here is usually a five-out drawing hand). I've been trying to play a bit more aggressively the past few days so when the situation came up tonight I just went ahead and pushed on the turn and the guy insta-folded. Maybe if the turn had been a blank I'd have more luck getting calls from a pair of jacks there? With the king out there I could possibly check-raise the turn or lead $35 on the river if he checks behind on the turn. I don't like giving him a free look at the river though if he has a pair of jacks and checks behind... although he's likely to call a river bet there even if he doesn't improve. Obviously this line is better against only certain types of players.

This sorta turned into a bit of a rant/me thinking out loud.

Basically I'm just curious how people handle situations where the amount of money left to be bet is somewhere between 120-150% of the current pot size with more than one betting round left, and you have a hand worthy of a strong bet. Also wondering how much the answer changes if you have position on your opponent.

DBowling
11-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Out of position, i say you gotta bet it out. I agree the turn card killed your action, its too bad. But still, lead out for about the size of the pot. Then put the rest of the money on the river.
Pushing the turn makes it look like you hit the king hard. Betting the pot, same as you did the flop, sort of looks like youre unimproved. Check raising the turn would be a nice line, now that i think about it. And if he checks behind, i think hes more likely to call a small river bet.
Rereading my post, it seems like i dont think either potting or checking the turn are bad options. Pushing, just seems to show too much strength, against a weak tight opponent.

Yeti
11-18-2004, 06:56 AM
I don't agree that making a pot sized bet looks weaker than pushing.

Anyway, typically I'd just check here, with a view to check raising all in. If he checks behind he will definitely call a river bet with his jacks unimproved.

creedofhubris
11-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I like checking here. Free card isn't going to be that bad, he can't have more than 5 outs and probably has fewer. Then bet the river, you'll get called.

phil_ivey_fan
11-18-2004, 11:42 AM
In the scenerio you described above, I am raising half the opponent's remaining stack. I've really began to like this move. Its smaller than a potsize bet so weak players will sometimes go ahead and push here w/ top pair. If the player calls, he's pot committed on the river, so you throughing him all in on the river won't cause him to think too hard about the call (unless the idiot called off 3/4's his stack on a draw of some sort).

DBowling
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
To me, it seems that the party fish put you on AK if you raise anytime. I dont know why, but they do. They say it in chat too. So i think youve gotta make him think that the K didnt improve you at all. Maybe youre right though, potting it isnt better. Maybe 1/2-3/4? Also checking works.

bholdr
11-18-2004, 06:42 PM
well if you know that if you bet you're gonna be pot-committed, why not push? if he has a set or KJ or something you're gonna lose it all anyway. with just AA i'd be happy to win what's already in the pot. checking here is just asking for it.

soah
11-18-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well if you know that if you bet you're gonna be pot-committed, why not push? if he has a set or KJ or something you're gonna lose it all anyway. with just AA i'd be happy to win what's already in the pot. checking here is just asking for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you've done is paraphrase what I originally wrote... but I think pushing is scaring off too many hands that I could extract more value from. In a tourney I'd love to just win what's in the pot but for a cash game I want him to call me down without proper odds, even if it causes me to lose occassionally.