PDA

View Full Version : A8 and AQ hands

10-06-2001, 12:07 PM
No Limit tournment (70 players) down to two tables (15 players). Typical 10 place payout with the bulk of the money in the first 3 places. Blinds are at $300/600 with a $50 ante. I have a stack of about $6000 which is is in midrange for the table.

Situation 1: SB is a large stack (10,000+) who is playing conservatively and the BB who is fairly loose and would probably call/raise with any pair or hands like ATs at this stage of the tournment (stack maybe $8000). I hold A8 on the button and all fold to me. Should I raise in this situation and if so how much?

Situation 2: Next round I am in the small blind and down to a stack of about $5000. I am in the small blind with AQo. Loose player decribed above (will raise with any medium Ace) raises UTG to $3000 and one short stack calls with approximately $2000. A second short stack of $3500 also goes all in. What is my play? One other consideration is that both tables had lost a player so we were down to 13 players. 10th place payed $200.

10-06-2001, 01:05 PM
With A8, I would raise to about 2000, and if called, I would figure on betting all-in on most flops (if checked to).

With AQ, I would fold. With 3 players, there is too good of a chance you're behind somebody (maybe seriously behind), and you won't catch up often enough to justify the risk. Plus, when you're ahead, you're not that far ahead. Overall, the play is probably slightly negative, and given your proximity to the money, I would forego this hand.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-07-2001, 11:53 PM
Calvin,

Situation 1: My first instinct would be to pass the A8 because both of your potential opponents have you covered. In addition, you could raise, but why do it and possibly risk a reraise? If you had the BB (loose-player) covered, I guess you could make a case for a raise of T2000 preflop and put him to a decision given the SB would probably pass. My vote goes for passing given the situation.

Situation 2: Pass, without a doubt. You'll lose 2 players on this hand and most of your hit cards are potentially busy in other hands. Here, you must count on at least one of your opponents having a pair of some sort (8s or better). Bottom line is that you must hit to win, and there's no guarantee that an A will win. You could very well be dominated by AK.

My 2 cents for what it's worth,

Mike

10-09-2001, 12:17 PM
On the 1st hand I would raise. I probably make it 2400 to go.

On the 2nd hand I probably muck. The question of course is how good of a hand do the short stacks need to go all-in. Clearly one of those players have a pair. So you need to hit your hand. But is it possible you are also up against AK or a big pair? If you muck and the big stack wins you are down to 11 players.

Ken Poklitar