PDA

View Full Version : Limit tourney blind defense

10-06-2001, 02:42 AM
I see this often: In limit tourneys when the blinds get big at the final table, one of the shorter stacks makes his move and raises all in. Everyone proceeds to fold to the BB. Many players in this spot (BB) call the all-in bet with anything. Some...no...a lot of these people do it automatically even if their loss will make them fall way behind. Like they're obligated to defend. And they often loose and keep that other player alive. You gotta figure the all-in guy has been waiting for big cards and he probably has at least one. Why on earth would you call with 9-3o?

I suppose it happens in no-limit tourneys too, i wouldn't know. My question is: when the blinds get so large that the game becomes like no-limit and the end is near what would be the calling requirements in the following type situations.

5 players left

BB-T3000

SB-T2000

Button- T3300

#4-T700

#5-T1000

BLINDS ARE: 300-600

Limit is 600-1200

Player #5 raises all-in to 1000

all fold to BB...he must call 400 or fold...

Where do you draw the line on what to call with and what not to?

I know it can't be anything goes...

Thanks,

Bill

10-06-2001, 05:48 AM
In the situation you describe, without antes, which many structures have at the final levels, the BB is still getting 4 to 1 odds (1600 in the pot, he calls for 400... remember the 600 blind is already part of the pot). I don't think there are any 2 card hands that are worse than 4-1 dog against any 2 random cards. Yes, the raiser could be on a "real" hand in which case 9,3 off might be more than a 4-1 dog. But the chance of it being a steal, combined with the actual odds, AND the chance to knock a player out makes most calls like this mandatory with almost any 2 cards.

If I know an opponent so well that I know they have a pair, I might fold to them in this spot, but I'd have to know them REALLY well (Like Greg). LOL

Keep playing hard!

10-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Bill K. wrote:

> I know it can't be anything goes...

Yet it is, at least for your facts.

When somebody raises all-in in limit, the big blind is getting at least 3.5:1 on the call. Simply put, the only way the raiser is that much of a favorite over you is if he's holding an overpair to both of your cards. Even then, he's not much better than a 3.5:1 favorite. When he doesn't have an overpair, he's most likely a 3:2 or 2:1 favorite, which gives you a lot of pot equity for the call.

Things always depend, and there are lots of factors not mentioned in your post or my reply. However, more often than not, much more often, the big blind should call with anything.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Interesting insight. Thanks for your opinons

10-07-2001, 12:41 PM
DONT FEED THE PIGEONS.

10-11-2001, 02:32 PM
.. is that if you call a guy's all-in in the BB and knock him out with 9-3o, people may think twice about stealing your BB. The final table is a mighty good time to have people not come knocking for your blind money.

M.