PDA

View Full Version : Should I call?

nickey009
11-18-2004, 02:33 AM
I just posted this to the tourney board but I wanted to post it here too because I really value this boards input.

Blinds are 50/100. I have ~1100 chips. I'm one before the button. UTG +1 Raises to 400. He's about the tightest player on the table. folded around to the guy right before me who has both of us covered. He re-raises another 1000. UTG+1 has about 600 left and will most likely call this raise. Should I call it with my AKs?

dmk
11-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Fold. If this thread hangs around tomorrow and there's more discussion on it, I'll post why. Too tired atm, but this is a fold for me.

nickey009
11-18-2004, 03:28 AM
If it goes bye bye I'm going to repost it then so I can get your advice. Thanks DMK! Love the photo of Kristin by the way.

creedofhubris
11-18-2004, 08:38 AM
You don't have much money; the blinds are 1/10 your stack. You're looking for a hand to move in with. Although the raise + reraise is pretty strong, this is probably it.

dmk
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
OK, I haven't checked the MTT to see any discussion on it, but here's my thoughts.

You're down to 11BB, you have AKs in CO. Something to mention, you get 6 more free looks after this hand before being forced to put in a blind, which is always good. You're not significantly short-stacked yet IMO, but very close. Basically I'm saying you're not desperate yet.

For this specific hand, there are 3 factors:

1) You're looking kind of short and have AKs. Both opponents have you covered.
2) The tightest player at the table has raised 4BB UTG+1.
3) Person to right (PTR) re-raises to 10BB.

Now, put them on a range of hands. UTG+1 is minimally raising w/ what? AA-JJ/AK/AQ? I'm assuming PTR has some idea that UTG+1 is playing tight, so what is he going to re-raise with here? something like AA-QQ/AK probably. So absolute best case scenario, you'll see QQ vs JJ vs AK, or AQ vs AK vs AK. It's just not worth the risk at this point. Now, if PTR had called instead of raised, I'm definitely going all-in.

In the end, a re-raise preflop shows strength, and you shouldn't be playing AK for all your chips in a 3-way all-in. Not when you still have enough chips to play a few more orbits before you're in all-in/fold mode.

nickey009
11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
In retrospect there is no way I should have called this. Like DMK said I'm not in desperation mode yet. I was still fairly comfortable. Now, the re-raise by PTR didn't mean as much as DMK thought. He's not a very strong player and would do this re-raise with a much wider range of cards than most would. 99-AA, AK, AQ. You're dead right on UTG+1 though.

In the end AK plays horribly in a multi-way pot.