PDA

View Full Version : Blind defense early in a high buyin SNG

adanthar
11-18-2004, 01:21 AM
It's the first, second, or third hand of the tournament. You're the BB. It's folded to the SB who minraises.

Anyone else call any two here?

wegs the wegs
11-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Any two? No.

A little wider variety than normal? Yes.

Lloyd
11-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Absolutely not. And I wouldn't expand my calling or raising standards here either. I just don't think the blinds are worth it. I have never found blind defense with marginal hands to be a good maneuver in SNGs. In the beginning, it's not worth the blinds. Toward the end, the stacks just aren't deep enough. Now, that doesn't mean I won't re-raise if I sense weakness.

Of course, the next time we play together you should ignore this advice completely. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

texasrattlers
11-18-2004, 02:06 AM
From what I have learned on this forum, you should have VERY selective starting hand requirements the first three rounds (see the "Early Tourney Question" thread from last week). That being said, I may loosen up my starting hand requirements just a little to call a small raise from the SB early on.

Just the way I see things now.

adanthar
11-18-2004, 02:06 AM
The blinds aren't worth it. If people see me defend that first hand, though, I've found they're a little less willing to steal afterwards.

I'd never pull this against you because you'd never open minraise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

raptor517
11-18-2004, 02:07 AM
i could care less about defending my 15 chips. you can take them. if u want to risk it that early, ill play with you every game. early in the game the best thing to do is play extrememly tight. i fold aq, even if its folded to me and im on the button. it just seems pointless to play your big cards when the blinds are so small. however, i WILL limp with almost all of my pocket pairs in most positions, because in anything up to 100 sngs, and even some people in the 200s, will bet everything if they hit top pair and have best or second best kicker.

adanthar
11-18-2004, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i fold aq, even if its folded to me and im on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about my 'defend anything for 15 chips HU' idea but this is far beyond too tight.

raptor517
11-18-2004, 02:16 AM
i believe that i do in fact play much tighter than the normal player, even the abnormally tight player. hovever, i feel that my ability in the late game is much more vital than a risk in the early game. that is my reasoning. if enough people try to convince me that it is in fact too tight, then i might decide to change it up a little bit.

texasrattlers
11-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Folding AQ on button after folded around to you is too tight. (That's two and counting /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

I probably raise to 3xBB in this situation, and just call if people in ahead of me.

raptor517
11-18-2004, 02:33 AM
maybe ill limp with it.. we'll c /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Unarmed
11-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Yes, at the very least limp and bust someone with Ax when an ace falls.

captZEEbo1
11-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Give him your 15 chips without a hand. I'm folding most Ax's here. Although it depends on the buyin, b/c it'll be easy to outplay most opponents at lower buyins.

spentrent
11-18-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding AQ on button after folded around to you is too tight. (That's two and counting /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

I probably raise to 3xBB in this situation, and just call if people in ahead of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert, but I agree with ya. Great way to punish those heroic defenders of the blind.

Irieguy
11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Calling with any 2 is the exact opposite of how you should play the BB in level 1.

Irieguy

PS- Raptor is correct.

adanthar
11-18-2004, 12:50 PM
I should mention that the only way I continue past the flop with most of those any two is if I flop top pair or (much) better - top pair no kicker will not stand up to a pot sized bet.

The idea is not to actually play out the hand.

texasrattlers
11-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Are you saying Raptor is correct to fold AQ on the button when folded around to him in the early rounds?

Miamipuck
11-19-2004, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Raptor is correct to fold AQ on the button when folded around to him in the early rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not agree with that. If it is folded around to you on the button, why fold. I will most likely limp or sometimes raise. But why fold when you can get heads up with one of the blinds. A-Q while not the best hand, is not a bad hand to have with only 2-3 people in a pot max.

On the topic of original question:
Hell no. If some crackpot wants to steal my blinds with any form of raise when blinds are 10/15......... more power to them. The only time I defend is with a group 1 hand.