PDA

View Full Version : JTs lay down playing the board HU

imitation
11-18-2004, 12:54 AM
5 Handed party 5/10

SB is ultra loose passive fish, will only bet when he has something and often not even then. One hand he checked middle pair topkicker on both the turn and river heads up.

JTs in MP

UTG fold, Hero raises, button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop is 89T
check, bet, call

turn is 7
bet, raise, 3-bet, call.

river is J
bet, fold.

balkii
11-18-2004, 02:34 AM
i dont think this guy puts in that much action on the 4-straight turn with a set/two pair so I dont see how the board pairing impacts your decision. if you are confident he has QJ then fold on the turn

imitation
11-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Yes I realised that actually after I thought about it a bit more, if I'm folding the river I've no idea why I called the 3-bet on the turn, this hand felt just like a LPP slow played flopped straight and I should have folded to the 3-bet on the turn.

spydog
11-18-2004, 08:11 AM
The board didn't pair. I'm not sure I can fold this. He has to have QJ for this to be a fold and I think he can play Jx this strongly as well. If your read is so strong on the fish, then fold to the 3-bet. However, fish like you described rarely lead the turn as a bluff, so why not call the turn leadout and river? Bet if checked to on the river.

Trix
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Call the river, he has no reason to think he is behind when you raise the turn, so he probably 3bets any J.

AJ,KJ,JT,J9,J8s are all posible here imo.
You are almost getting 5:1 on a calldown on the turn, considering that he most likely has atleast a J, you are drawing to a split, which makes the odds 2.5:1, does he has QJ more than 29% of the time here?, I dont think so, could be wrong though.

Mammux
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
This doesn't read as JQ to me. I'm thinking he would either bet the flop, or check the turn. If he played straight forward he would bet the flop. If he was trying to slowplay his made nut straight he would check the turn hoping that you just made your 2nd best straight. Did he have Q6? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Magnus

girgy44
11-18-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you are confident he has QJ then fold on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are confident that he has QJ then why would you fold the turn? I'm pretty sure a straight beats a pair. Folding this is terrible IMO. You have to call this down. A lot of people will bluff at this hoping you will do exactly what you did. Knowing almost for certain that you can't beat him. I think that this is a clear call.

J.R.
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are confident that he has QJ then why would you fold the turn? I'm pretty sure a straight beats a pair. Folding this is terrible IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

I'm not sure I really get the turn raise, as if he is as passive as you say, will he bet a 6 or 2 pair on this turn? And if you do raise, don't you have to pay off a 3-bet, which is another reason why raising is no good?

balkii
11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
The board didn't pair

god im an idiot. I guess for some reason I read the title as "pairing the board" not "playing the board" and then still didnt even notice the lack of board pair when reading the post. but still fold the turn or call the river.