PDA

View Full Version : It's about damn time (total bragging)

mmbt0ne
11-18-2004, 12:29 AM
I've always thought of myself as a pretty athletic guy. I was one of those people who wasn't great at most sports, but was good enough to get by in all sports. The two exceptions to that were basketball and baseball. I quit playing baseball when I was 10 though, because I hit .756 for the season, and still didn't make the all-star team. Couple that, with the fact that it was my dad who really wanted me to play baseball, and he had just moved out, and baseball was dead to me.

Basketball, was a different story. I started playing in 2nd grade, because my cool older neighbor really liked to play. I convinced my parents to put a hoop over the garage, and it stood there until the end of my senior year, when I finally ripped it down dunking(a process that itself was about 4 years in the making). Over the years, I've played 20 seasons of competive basketball. One winter season every year from 2nd to 12th grade, a spring season from 7th to 12th grade, two intramural teams, and a open mens league team this year.
I never played for a school team, well, kinda, but I quit the freshmen team about 3 practices in because the coach was an ass. "Sure he was," you say. Well, one of the kids he wouldn't play left our school after sophomore year, and got a full ride to play at Oak Hill Academy, and he lied to us about being a letter winner at Kentucky (my whole family went to UK, you can't put that by me). AAU was out of the question too. I was good, but not good enough to get the quality minutes on a team that competitive that would justify the money I'd have to spend. Plus, the other AAU teams in Atlanta, have rosters with the likes of Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Randolph Morris (2 NBA first rounders, and UK's top recruit this year).

Well, tonight, after 20 seasons of basketball, my team finally won the league championship. Add that to the fact that I had me best all-around night of the season going for 15 and 12 with 6 assists, 4 blocks and a steal, and all that basketball is finally worth it. I won't be able to walk tomorrow after going knee-to-knee with some 250 lb. beast, but that doesn't matter right now.

What was your greatest sports acheivement?

daryn
11-18-2004, 12:52 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

oh this one is soooo easy. a few weeks ago i beat thebruiser500 in 3 consecutive 3 game series of racquetball for $300/series. a week later i grabbed $115 more.

total racquetball winnings from thebruiser500: $1015

Topflight
11-18-2004, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh this one is soooo easy. a few weeks ago i beat thebruiser500 in 3 consecutive 3 game series of racquetball for $300/series. a week later i grabbed $115 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were the games close at least? For Bruisers sake

Popinjay
11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mine is probably various moments in my life when I was just straight up strokin and scored a sh!tload of points from 3 land. Of course these were just in pick up games and stuff but still fun.

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:08 AM
here was the way it went, maybe not exact:

1st series of 3: gave him 3:2 odds, won 15-2, 15-3, +$300

2nd series of 3: gave him 2:1 odds, won 15-4, 15-7, +$300

3rd series of 3: gave him 2:1 odds, won 15-10, 15-12, +$300

then a single game at 4-1 odds for $15, i forget the score but i win, +$15

then an even money game, i spot him 6 points, won 15-14, +$50

then an even money game, i spot him 7 points, won 15-12, +$50

eric5148
11-18-2004, 01:09 AM
I got a hole in one. 125 yards, 9 iron. This was like 4 years ago. I also shot 2 under par at the 9-hole course I used to work at.

nothumb
11-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Bowling:

I have shot 299 three times, over 700 countless times (in a three game series), won two league championships and am currently the anchor of a men's classic (read: no handicap) team. Bowling is usually +EV for me in that I can win enough in the brackets and high game pots to pay for my games and my beers.

Or in soccer, where I once scored a goal during a student/faculty game while smoking a cigarette, then played goalie for the second half and shut out the faculty team. (Yeah, I don't play soccer that seriously anymore, and my team in college was bad enough that I never had any major achievements.) The only other one I could think of was saving a PK to preserve a rare win for my team (it was a pretty good shot, too, but I guessed right and dove, stopping a bouncing ball about 5 inches from the left post.)

NT

M2d
11-18-2004, 01:24 AM
4-5 with 3 doubles and 6 rbi my first game as a starter in college.

Alobar
11-18-2004, 01:25 AM
My greatest sports acheivment was in high school. I played on the school team, but this was a game of nerf HORSE at my best friends house at 2am between me and his younger brother. It was an epic battle, like two giants niether one of us would go down.

It was HORS(me) to HOR(him) when I made the 2 most amazing shots of my life. Left handed hook shot, from on my back on the floor, blind, because I was behind the couch, and a called bank shot. I followed that up with the "impossible shot". I had been working on this shot for a month and everyone told me it couldnt be done. I was so pumped from my previous shot that I decided to give it a shot. It consisted of throwing the ball as hard as humanly possible to give it enough "oomph"(technical term) for it to be able to go, off the lamp stand (without hitting the lamp), hit the door rebound all the way across the room, and land on top of the bookshelf, where I had placed a book at an angle so it would roll down the side, and then into hoop. Game, set, match!

I finished 3rd ovarall in points for the MTB season my sophmore year in college, that was cool too, but nothing compared to that game of nerf horse.

Philuva
11-18-2004, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Landed an ollie handrail near Ritten House Square in Philly in front of a ton of other really good skaters. It was one of those out of body experiences where while you are doing the act, you are telling yourself, I can't beleive I am doing this. It was sweet.

kyro
11-18-2004, 02:06 AM
hmm, probably qualifying for the state meet in cross country. i'm decent at almost all sports, but not good enough to play competitively except running.

Popinjay
11-18-2004, 02:17 AM
oh wait i retract that. My best was when I walked to half-court in PE class in HS with a basketball. I was like, hey watch this to my friends, acting completely confident. I turned my back to one of the hoops, and flinged the ball backwards granny style. Backboard -&gt; Net = glory.

Blarg
11-18-2004, 02:47 AM
In a vain attempt not to be too vain, I'll note that I suck at most sports, and just mention the funniest one -- in sparring matches, at two different times, I actually made different guys fall over without touching them, just by psyching right into where their heads were at, and feinting and moving just the right way. As I recall, I feinted a feint, and by the time they realized the second feint was actually also a feint and now something else was coming, and adapted to it, they realized that was a feint too and my fist was finally coming in on another line, and by then their brains were just too overloaded with stimuli too fast, too many of their muscles were tensed against each other, their balance and energy were all over the place, and they just fell down, without my even having to hit them. It's generally much too fancy and risky to prepare such complex attacks in real fights, but it was just sparring so the risks were relatively low, and for some reason at the time it seemed perfectly right for the moment. The memory is still funny many years later. It was really hard not to laugh or even crack a smile, but I didn't, because those guys must have been pretty demoralized.

nolanfan34
11-18-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the two times I shot 79 on the golf course. The second time was especially sweet, because it was on my birthday, and I was playing with my 3 best college friends, who lost a lot of money playing Wolf that round.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Mine is likely bowling too. I'm not as good as you, but I have a 289 game, won about 18k bowling, and have thrown 14 strikes in a row.

Also, in non-sports related bragging, I won the biggest karaoke competition in the country last april( too old for AI tho..) which was worth $2500.

Then, there's my arcade bragging.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ulysses
11-18-2004, 03:31 AM
That's pretty sweet. I do this thing where I stand like 20 feet away from my opponent and then I do a karate move into the air and then they die. You have probably seen what I'm talking about if you've seen any Bruce Lee movies. It's pretty badass, if I do say so myself.

Anyway, blarg, we should do some non-contact feint sparring sometime and see who dies. That would be pretty cool.

Dominic
11-18-2004, 03:53 AM
congrats!

I used to be a professional tennis player...some of my accomplishments:

(as an amateur)
qualified for the French and US Opens at age 19
started on the NAIA College National Champs
won numerous national junior tournaments

(as a pro)
ranked as high as #67 in the world
played at Wimbledon, the US, French, and Australian Opens
played against Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe
beat Brad Gilbert at the Canadian Open when he was ranked #4 in the world

and my greatest athletic accomplishment:

beating Mats Wilander in Japan when he was ranked #1

almost forgot:

I also played Vince Van Patten a few times - he was a pretty good pro...ranked higher than me at one time. I beat him more than he beat me, though!

Reef
11-18-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do this thing where I stand like 20 feet away from my opponent and then I do a karate move into the air and then they die.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

what's also funny is that I told my girlfriend this quote while she was preoccupied and she asked, "how"?

---------------------------------------------------

My moment might have come when I beat everyone on my HS varsity tennis team in a fast serve competition - 115 on the radar!

Sincere
11-18-2004, 04:04 AM
One year playing competitive soccer I scored 7 goals in a game 3 times and ended up scoring 32 goals in an 8 game regular season and was league MVP. That year we played the #1 team for the league championship game. That team had already beaten us in the reg season 7-2 and there record was 8-0 ours was 7-1. In the league championship game I scored 3 goals in the first 10 minutes and we went on to win 5-3, and the league championship. I have a 2 foot tall trophy for the league MVP and a 1 foot tall trophy for the league championship. Ah...the glory days.

Sincere
11-18-2004, 04:07 AM
When I was 14 I won the a gold Medal in the Florida State Championships for my division in sparring. I sparred an opponent who was 2 years older than me and still won.

Sincere
11-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Nowadays my biggest accomplishment is, well, I dont know if it should be considered a sports accomplishment, but one "special" occasion in Daytona Beach I drank 44 beers in one night and almost drowned in the Atlantic ocean after my friends decided to go swimming. I jumped over a wave and landed on my head on the ocean bottom and passed out for a minute. My boy Big Bean pulled me up and I regained concienceness. But 44 beers in one night has to be some kind of record.

Sincere
11-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Oh yeah, I drank 29 beers one night and wrapped my car around a telephone pole and still lived. So that is another accomplishment!

Rounder041
11-18-2004, 04:26 AM
Greatest sports achievement would have to be the time when I was sopohmore in high school. I was on the basketball team, but didnt get the most PT, so pregame a friend of mine and I are shooting to get warmed up, and I say to him..."I GARUNTEE you I hit a last second three but it wont matter because we will be up like 50." His reply was a pretty standard "Right, right." So...the game goes on, and we sit on the bench chatting, our team is handling the opponent with ease. Then the fourth quarter comes...we are up by about 30 with a few minutes remaining, and the coach starts putting in some fresh legs. We get the signal and are put in. Anyway, the clock is ticking down, maybe 5 seconds left, we inbound the ball, another friend of mine passes it over half court to me, I take one dribble, pull up and nail a triple as the buzzer goes off. I then casually glance over at my friend who I GARUNTEED a last second triple, give him a smile and a little shrug as if it were nothing and walk off the court. Needless to say, from that day on, if I garuntee something, he takes me word for it.

Sponger15SB
11-18-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

During my Junior year of high school I was ranked #1 in San Diego high school for bodyboarding, #1 in BIA (bodyboarding international association), #2 in NSSA (national scholastic surfing association), and then I got 2nd in NSSA nationals.

There some other various stuff like winning 9 heats in a row, getting a 28 out of 30 a final, making the finals of 14 straight school contests, becoming the youngest person to ever win a BIA pro contest, winning college state championships, etc

I have at least 50 huge pointless trophies sitting around in my garage.

edit - bodyboarding is like surfing but you're lying down... "boogie boarding" *groan*

NLSoldier
11-18-2004, 04:43 AM
My greatest sporting accomplishments have come while playing with Rounder041 in our annual 2on2 easter bball touney.

There are 16 teams usually made up of one varsity player and one scrub (to keep it fair and competetive). Needless to say, Rounder is the stud and I am the scrub. In the first year the tournement was held, in our 2nd game, we were up against our other friend, Ben, (the kid rounder made the garantee to in the above post). Rounder had an off game and we were sure to lose. But I somehow stepped it up, scoring 7 of our 11 points and hitting the game winner. Ben, the friend whose team we beat will not let me hear the end of the fact that the "game of my life" came against his team.

The other best accomplshment happened this past easter. In a rematch of what was the best game the year before, Rounder and i were against the kid who organized the tournement, and arguably its bets overall player since it was played on his home court. Our game went into OT and it was "next bucket wins" so they decided to start fouling me every time i got the ball. ( I mentioned I am the scrub member of my team right?). The first time they did it i missed, but the second time I banked it home for the game winner of by far the best game of the whole tournement, finally avenging our hard fought loss from the year before.

Rounder041
11-18-2004, 04:58 AM
I would deffinetly have to say that the game in the 2v2 Easter tourney was unbelieveable. The court was in this kids backyard...it was cement but it was only about 1 foot bigger than the lane all the way around.
There must have been like 50 people jammed right up against the court in folding chairs and on picknick tables. If they were to extend their legs, their feet would be on the court.

This was the game of the tourney.

The tourney usually lasted a number of hours seeing as there were quite a few teams, so people would get bored, wander around or even leave for a while, but not this time. Every last person was devoting 100% of their attention on THIS game. There were tons of people who came and didn't even play, they came, sat, and watched us play basketball for hours.
This game with NLSoldier and I vs. the host and his brother was like an epic battle. We went back and forth, each team hustling like mad, diving on the concrete, scraping our knees and elbows (we couldn't feel it, were numb with intesity) leaping over the closely packed crowd to save a loose ball, every posession mattered, every little play could have been the difference in the game.
We went back and forth each team scoring, then each team would stop the other, then one would get up by two posessions, and the other would rally back to tie the game. After much of this, we reached overtime. Where NLSoldier decided to shine... next team to score takes home the victory. Like he said, they chose to foul him, putting the pressure on, making him shoot the free throw in the clutch.
When he stood at that line, dribbling the ball, that backyard was silent, the only thing to hear was the sounds of the players on the court catching their breathe...

...NLSoldier took his time...

...looked up at the hoop and released...

...every head in the backyard could be seen following the shot, up it went, smack off the backboard and through! The crowd erupted! Mauling our team on the court, I didn't think it would have been possible to jam so many people onto such a small patch of concrete, but sure enough, those crazy fans made it happen. NLSoldier's clutch shot gave us a key W in the win column. He was the hero. Now that was a game for the ages.

Michael Davis
11-18-2004, 05:06 AM
I only scored about 10 goals in my soccer career, but in the final regular season game in which we were playing for the title one year (it was a four-way tie going into the last game and my team held all tiebreakers), I scored off the left post from 35 yards out with under five minutes to go to win the game 3-2. Lame, yes.

-Michael

plaster8
11-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Not the greatest thing I've done, but one I took a LOT of satisfaction from, was in 13-year-old baseball. My friend (at the time) had a no-hitter going in the bottom of the seventh (which is the last inning at that level). I was at the plate with two outs and an 0-2 count on me when he shook his catcher off and threw me a fastball.

I hit a clean single to left, and found out later that I cost him a $300 skateboard that his dad promised him if he finished off the no-no.

NLSoldier
11-18-2004, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hit a clean single to left, and found out later that I cost him a $300 skateboard that his dad promised him if he finished off the no-no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work! That is way too much to pay for a skateboard anyways.

anatta
11-18-2004, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In high school, we were playing our rivals in basketball. Actually, we had two rivals. We were playing against one, and another, whose team must have had the night off since they were at our game, too.

Anyways, I got in foul trouble early, but hit a couple of jumpers late in the game, so I knew I was shooting good. There were 6 seconds left and we were down by two. Our point guard (nephew of ex-globetrotter, NC State Wolfpack, Clide the Glide Austin), drove the length of court and passed to me on baseline. I got fouled shooting a turn around with 1 second left.

The other team called time out to ice me. I had this calm smile on my face. All I remember thinking was "I can't believe they fouled me". It must have been all those games of 21 where you have to hit 21 exactly or you go back to 11, or maybe I just knew I was shooting well, but I was going to nail these shots.

So I step up to the line, and the players from the third school, in the stands, are chanting "Choke, choke, choke". So of course I hit both shots or I wouldn't have a story. In OT, I hit two more, or as the Richmond News Leader wrote, "calmly hit two free throws to send the game into overtime, and hit two more in overtime to lead the home blah, blah..."

I had better games statisticaly then this, but ever since then, whether it be the California Bar Exam, tough trials, 40-80 holdem...I always felt like I can come through under pressure.

Toro
11-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Can't narrow it to one.

1. Voted Captain of High School and College Football teams by my teammates.

2. Voted first team All New England defensive end in College.

3. Won club championships in racquetball both singles and
doubles at age 51. In the semi-finals of the singles I tore the cartiliage in my knee but wouldn't quit and beat a 22 year kid in the title match. Had surgery right afterward and have never played racquetball or any competitive sport since. That's probably why I'm so fanatic about Poker. Need the competition.

tyfromm
11-18-2004, 08:29 AM
My greatest sports achievement is rooting for the Red Sox.

And this year we won. I rule!!!!

maryfield48
11-18-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I only scored about 10 goals in my soccer career, but in the final regular season game in which we were playing for the title one year (it was a four-way tie going into the last game and my team held all tiebreakers), I scored off the left post from 35 yards out with under five minutes to go to win the game 3-2. Lame, yes.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no, not lame a-tall. Not many people can claim to have scored a championship-winning goal, never mind with a 35 yard shot!

Blarg
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Pretty funny, but pretty retarded. All in all, stick to poker.

Leave this sort of thing to the professionals: http://www.realultimatepower.net/index3.htm

B00T
11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bowling:

I have shot 299 three times, over 700 countless times (in a three game series), won two league championships and am currently the anchor of a men's classic (read: no handicap) team. Bowling is usually +EV for me in that I can win enough in the brackets and high game pots to pay for my games and my beers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, my one night was nuts...

Oct 16th 2003...

Shot my first ever 300 + 800 series (823) in the same night. Mind you I live in NY, and if that day rings any bells....Game 7 of Yanks v Sox last year when Aaron Boone did the deed. I remember bowling with no scores on the monitors (the game was on), and total chaos all night long. It was actually comforting because nobody even knew I had the front 11, and there wasnt the sounds of people hushing each other and dead silence like that relaxes you or something.

Bowling can be very +EV if you put yourself in the right leagues.

NotMitch
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I scored 4 TDs in one game for Polk High School.

namknils
11-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure what would be my one greatest moment but I've had a lot of good ones with basketball. I think my game high in high school was 22 or 25 points one night when I was stroking threes, that felt pretty good. And there were plenty of great moments in high school. But my first year out of high school I was in two adult leagues and carried both teams to the championships. We won both leagues even though neither team had won it before. In one league I averaged 27 points on the year, including one game where I scored 29 points in the first half and ended the game in the 40's. The other team was playing a zone, big mistake. Also, I've won the championship two out of three years in the other league.

Justin A
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a member of the 2000 American Legion National Champion baseball team. Number one out of 5500 or so teams. And they flew us out to New York for games one and two of the World Series that fall as a reward.

Oh, and I threw a no-hitter when I was 11.

Justin A

junkmail3
11-18-2004, 03:05 PM
If I could change it to "Greatest Athletic Accomplishment" I would have to say three girls at one time. I would also be lying though.

ThaSaltCracka
11-18-2004, 03:12 PM
winning the league title when I was 11. Our team was comprised of both 11 and 12 year olds, and we went undefeated in the regular season, something like 25-0, then we lost in the city championships(LL baseball of course). My favorite personal achievement was winning the first wrestling match I did in HS, it was fun and tiring, but also cool. Other than that, probably stupid stuff like going 5-5 in a softball game with a HR, and a bunch of doubles and RBI's.

B Dids
11-18-2004, 03:38 PM
8th grade football, I come in on the goaline in the C squad game, they run into my gap and I crush a kid who might have been 5 feet tall and weighed 90 pounds to stop the touchdown.

I also hit a game winning homer that I'm almost positive was actually foul in a WSU baseball camp once.

2 League Bowling Championships, but I personally sucked it up in both of those series.

turnipmonster
11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
skating, the first time I cleared a bench and the first time I landed a handrail were both awesome.

I am not a particularly fast runner, but I like to run and was training for the nyc marathon. so I signed up for an 18 mile race one sunday morning. only problem was I had a brunch gig at 10 (race started at 7) and then I had another gig straight after that.

so to make it to my gig on time, I had to run 18 miles in 2:45, and then hop directly in a cab from the finish line. like I said I'm not a particularly fast runner, so 18 miles in 2:45 was a really big deal for me. I managed to finish in almost exactly 2:45, and was not late to my gig.

--turnipmonster

Chizoad
11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Golfing by myself, I was about a 6 handicapper at the time, consistent and unspectacular.

University of Florida golf course from the back tees, Slope 129 rating 70.5, par 70.

Out in 37, with nothing to really write about, but better than average for me. Start the back 9 birdie birdie and then 3 putt from 15 feet on #12 for par, bogey the next then after another bogey birdie 18 from 4 feet. Ended the day with a 71, still my best round to date. Closest to the zone I've ever been when it comes to sports.

C

offTopic
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, tonight, after 20 seasons of basketball, my team finally won the league championship. Add that to the fact that I had me best all-around night of the season going for 15 and 12 with 6 assists, 4 blocks and a steal, and all that basketball is finally worth it. I won't be able to walk tomorrow after going knee-to-knee with some 250 lb. beast, but that doesn't matter right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all keep stats that detailed in men's league? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Benal
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Shooting 1 under par on the toughest golf course in Canada.

offTopic
11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shooting 1 under par on the toughest golf course in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely done...wouldn't that 71 be like a 64 in the US? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
11-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Winning a wiffleball tournament at UMass.

Duke
11-18-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bowling:

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're in Vegas let's bowl. I want 30 pins per game, will use all house equipment, and haven't bowled since the WSOP.

~D

Benal
11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
LOL good one.. but it'd be closer to 68 these days /images/graemlins/mad.gif

SomethingClever
11-18-2004, 06:13 PM
When I was unemployed earlier this year, I played basketball nearly every day and got into really great shape.

I had dunked once or twice in high school when I was in incredible shape, but not since then.

Finally getting the legs back to dunk again... I think that's my greatest achievement.

I'm about 6 foot 1, BTW, and I can't palm the ball, so I really have to get up there.

namknils
11-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Ahh yes, I'm 6'2" and can dunk pretty easily. I'm very proud of this but I forget that most people can't. It's always fun to dunk in a pick up game where a bunch of people don't know you. Most get all worked up like you're the best they've ever seen. It's a nice tool to have.

Demana
11-18-2004, 06:51 PM
&lt;shrug&gt;
Getting laid eight times in one night.

ThaSaltCracka
11-18-2004, 06:57 PM
[censored], most people can't dunk man, its pretty damn hard because you have to have really strong legs, especially calves.

Blarg
11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Dunking is definitely the nuts.

dogsballs
11-18-2004, 11:40 PM
daryn: [ QUOTE ]
here was the way it went, maybe not exact:

1st series of 3: gave him 3:2 odds, won 15-2, 15-3, +$300

2nd series of 3: gave him 2:1 odds, won 15-4, 15-7, +$300

3rd series of 3: gave him 2:1 odds, won 15-10, 15-12, +$300

then a single game at 4-1 odds for $15, i forget the score but i win, +$15

then an even money game, i spot him 6 points, won 15-14, +$50

then an even money game, i spot him 7 points, won 15-12, +$50

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sneaky daryn and you're cleverer than bruiser probably.

The clearer it is to both parties that one is more skilled at the sport and very likely to win the game, then the odds required to even it out skyrocket and become astronomical. It's not a game of chance.

3:2, 2:1 are irrelevant odds...u should be starting to talk 10-1, 20-1 as soon as u know the other guys better. I guess bruiser picked up on that after the first few tho.

* That's assuming the $$ involved doesn't affect eithers' game - which I assume is not a problem here.

ArchAngel71857
11-18-2004, 11:44 PM
I scored 4 TOUCHDOWNS IN ONE GAME!

-AA

dogsballs
11-18-2004, 11:59 PM
I love bragging - and I'm good at it:

1: I can freedive to about 110'.

2: I'm 6'2", 38 yrs old and balding, but can still dunk while cuffing the ball against my wrist a la Jordan. Usually shocks the [censored] out of the young bucks in pickup games or messing around. I may be slowly losing that tho - it's getting harder to do.

3: Cycled 250 miles through the scottish highlands in one and a half days. Left the Isle of Skye mon morning, arrived in time to watch the afternoon news in Glasgow the next day. Also did 1000 miles through the swiss and french alps as my very first cycle tour (although I had to push the last mile up the very first mountain pass on the first day cos every muscle - front and back - in both legs were cramping...4 hrs up, 15 mins down the other side).

4: Local monthly bar bill of $550 - with beers at $1.75. It's still the bar record.

Blarg
11-19-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4: Local monthly bar bill of $550 - with beers at $1.75. It's still the bar record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta admit, there's something you gotta love about beer drinking as an athletic accomplishment.

ArchAngel71857
11-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Not my greatest sports accomplishment, but probably the one I like the most:

I won the men's 200m dash at a track meet out of a field of about 80-90. As I walk back up to the stands, I see the guy who got second (who was black) getting chewed out by his coach for getting beat by a "skinny ass white kid!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-AA

Blarg
11-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Haha! I once saw a guy juggling knives and flaming sticks and all kinds of dangerous things on the Venice Boardwalk with a crowd gathered around him. He asked for a volunteer to throw knives etc back and forth with him, and of course everyone was really wondering who would be crazy enough; nobody stepped forward so the juggler chose some dude, and it was scary but it worked. Then he stepped it up and wanted another guy from the audience to help out, and when nobody volunteered, he asked a black guy. The black guy shook his head no, and then the juggler said, "The white guy did it." Everyone roared with laughter, and the black guy shook his head and let himself get dragged into it, because then he HAD to do it, poor chump.

Sincere
11-19-2004, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta admit, there's something you gotta love about beer drinking as an athletic accomplishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe beer drinking should be an Olympic event IMO. As you can see in my previous post I drank 44 beers in one night in Daytona Beach

Blarg
11-19-2004, 04:35 AM
I musta missed that but I'll go back and look for it. 44 beers in one night must have been brutal. I pity your poor toilet.

Sincere
11-19-2004, 04:45 AM
I made 4 posts in this same thread. But actually I never puked because I stayed up all night. But, I almost drowned in the Atlantic Ocean because my friends all wanted to go swimming at about 9 o'clock in the morning so we all ran out into the ocean and I jumped over a wave and when I did it hit my legs and I flipped in the air and landed on the ocean bottom on my head and I went unconsceince and my boy "big bean" pulled me up and I regained conscienceness a few minutes later.

daryn
11-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Haha! I once saw a guy juggling knives and flaming sticks and all kinds of dangerous things on the Venice Boardwalk with a crowd gathered around him. He asked for a volunteer to throw knives etc back and forth with him, and of course everyone was really wondering who would be crazy enough; nobody stepped forward so the juggler chose some dude, and it was scary but it worked. Then he stepped it up and wanted another guy from the audience to help out, and when nobody volunteered, he asked a black guy. The black guy shook his head no, and then the juggler said, "The white guy did it." Everyone roared with laughter, and the black guy shook his head and let himself get dragged into it, because then he HAD to do it, poor chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure it wasn't staged.

Blarg
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
What would you know, either way?

daryn
11-19-2004, 11:05 AM
well, call me crazy but....

i believe the part about a dude on the street juggling knives and torches, etc. there are definitely people that can do that.

however most people that gather around a guy doing that, CANNOT juggle knives and torches. so if you tell me that he picked not one but TWO guys from the crowd to help him juggle knives, i would be a little skeptical. not to mention that one was black, one was white, and that fact was somehow worked into a joke.

you're right maybe it was just a coincidence.

Blarg
11-19-2004, 11:23 AM
I didn't explain it well enough. The bystanders weren't doing anything complicated, and didn't juggle. The only thing they had to do that was scary was stand right next to the guy as he juggled dangerous things over their heads and around them and pretended he was going to drop it or stumble all the time, and then hand or throw him another sharp or flaming thing as he worked them into his routine one at a time. And the juggler would always joke around and threaten to just drop everything on someone's head, etc.

The juggler was a pretty funny guy -- but it was a lot funnier at a distance to watch than it was for those two guys up close. Nobody really knew if the juggler was as good as we hoped he was. Had a lotta nerve and skill, as it turned out.

SomethingClever
11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
I've seen that guy a couple times. Doesn't he also eat fire and balance chairs with people sitting in them on his face?

I think he works alone, so I doubt what you're describing was staged.

Toro
11-19-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats!

I used to be a professional tennis player...some of my accomplishments:

(as an amateur)
qualified for the French and US Opens at age 19
started on the NAIA College National Champs
won numerous national junior tournaments

(as a pro)
ranked as high as #67 in the world
played at Wimbledon, the US, French, and Australian Opens
played against Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe
beat Brad Gilbert at the Canadian Open when he was ranked #4 in the world

and my greatest athletic accomplishment:

beating Mats Wilander in Japan when he was ranked #1

almost forgot:

I also played Vince Van Patten a few times - he was a pretty good pro...ranked higher than me at one time. I beat him more than he beat me, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic, I've got to be the most gullible person on the face of the earth for asking this, but, you're kidding, right? As if you'll give a straight answer if you are kidding.

dogsballs
11-19-2004, 02:35 PM
44! musta been rough the next day. I can never remember the most for a night. Prob along similar quantities.

I used to hang around and drink a lot with 2 Newfoundland ship deck hands - so at least I can blame it on someone else... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dominic
11-19-2004, 03:17 PM
no, I'm not kidding....I used to be a pro tennis player. No one you would have ever heard of unless you were a tennis jumkie in the late 80s.

Haven't touched a racket in 7 years, though...need to get back into it, I think. Too much poker and sitting on my ass!

Toro
11-19-2004, 04:09 PM
My apologies for doubting you. That's a very impressive resume. And now I understand you work in the Adult Film Industry. Quite a diverse life you have led.

mmbt0ne
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
While I probably haven't heard of you, I'll bet I know people who have. I work at the GT tennis center, so I get to hang out with the team and coaches a lot. Both the men's and women's coaches, Kenny Thorne and Bryan Shelton, played on the tour back around that time. You have any good stories on beating them?

Dominic
11-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Never met or heard of Kenny Thorne and I think my college team played against Bryan's at one time...but I have never personally met or played him.

Dominic
11-19-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies for doubting you. That's a very impressive resume. And now I understand you work in the Adult Film Industry. Quite a diverse life you have led.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...yeah tennis to porn...i guess you say I've never had a "real" job! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
I didn't explain it well enough. The bystanders weren't doing anything complicated, and didn't juggle. The only thing they had to do that was scary was stand right next to the guy as he juggled dangerous things over their heads and around them and pretended he was going to drop it or stumble all the time, and then hand or throw him another sharp or flaming thing as he worked them into his routine one at a time. And the juggler would always joke around and threaten to just drop everything on someone's head, etc.

The juggler was a pretty funny guy -- but it was a lot funnier at a distance to watch than it was for those two guys up close. Nobody really knew if the juggler was as good as we hoped he was. Had a lotta nerve and skill, as it turned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright.. from the way you described it, i pictured some random dude getting picked off the street and coming up and juggling knives.

Legend27
11-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I blocked a punt, picked it up and ran it back for a touch down.

Blarg
11-20-2004, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen that guy a couple times. Doesn't he also eat fire and balance chairs with people sitting in them on his face?

I think he works alone, so I doubt what you're describing was staged.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was like ten years ago, so I don't know if it's the same guy you're seeing. He was really excellent though, and really excellent street performers aren't that common, so it could be the same guy. I don't remember, when it comes to fire-eating and etc. We could only watch him for like 10 minutes or so, and then we had to go.