PDA

View Full Version : Why you must never get emotional about a hand!

10-04-2001, 07:02 PM
I made an uncharacteristic mistake in this Tuesday's No-Limit event at Foxwoods. I need to go back to 3rd level and tell about a hand so you understand why I ended up making this mistake.

I had been struggling thru the 1st 3 levels getting no cards, yet thru steals etc., I had got to T1400, when this hand came up.(still in rebuy period)

2 Limpers in, blinds at 25-50, I have Jh,9h and limp. 1 more in and both blinds. Flop is 10,J,Q rainbow. UTG, a beginner with no clue, bets 100, all fold to me and I just call as a raise will not move him. All other fold. The turn is a J. He bets 200, I move all-in and he calls with his remaining 600 approx. River is a Q and I know I'm dead. He rolls over Q,3 off. (he was in the blind). I remain cool as I still have chips.

Through the next 30 min or so, I build again, particularly targeting "you know who". I get to about T2800 and we all get moved as table broke. 2nd hand at new table. UTG limps for 100, all fold to me in SB with 99. I raise to 600. Only he calls.

Flop is 9,Q,3 rainbow. I check, he moves all-in for about the same as I have. I can't get my chips in fast enough. We roll our cards, he shows Q,J off. Turn is a Q, (I'm feeling the hairs on my neck stand up) river is a J. Ouch!!! I have a friend, Levi standing next to me and he can't believe it and I am shell shocked. Emotionally, I start telling him about the previous hand and I'm not paying attention as the dealer begins sizing stacks. Pretty soon I look down to see that I have all the 100 (grey) chips in front of me and my opponent has all the green (25) chips in front of him. I say "Excuse me, who's chips are whose?" She says, "Oooops". Now a player, not involved takes all the chips over in front of him, yes all of them!, and says "This is your stack...blah, blah, blah." Now I speak up and ream the guys for getting involved at all as the floor comes over and tells everyone "to let the dealer do her job". I begin laughing histercally (inside) and push all the chips to my opponent. I quietly leave Foxwoods with only myself to blame. I think he had me coverred, but who knows. Even if I was left with chips, I probably was too crippled to do anything, but again who knows.

Never get emotional! It causes mistakes. I have only myself to blame for this. The only consolation is that I'm happy I got my money in at the best time. I was a 19 to 1 favorite in both hands. You can't ask for better than that. However...anything can happen.

Keep playing hard!

10-04-2001, 07:21 PM
I don't mean to question you, Glen, but wasn't the flop QQ9. I was sitting at the table and I thought the flop gave you a full house and him three Queens. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what it was.

Also, just to make you feel a little worse, that guy was still around with five people left. Luck can go a long way sometimes. He really had no clue.

Peace

Goodie

10-05-2001, 06:29 AM
No, the queen hit on the turn. I'm sure because at first sight I thought I had lost my 3 nines to 3 queens, just like the other hand. But as soon as I realized it gave me a full house, my heart was crushed again with the appearance of the jack.

Keep playing hard!