PDA

View Full Version : Book Group Formation: Ciaffone and Reuben: Pot Limit and No Limit

TomCollins
11-18-2004, 12:15 AM
I am interested in starting a book group to review the key points of this book. All levels are welcome.

Please PM me or reply to this thread if you are interested. I would like this to start in the beginning of December.

KingMarc
11-18-2004, 01:18 AM
I'm interested. I think it's a great book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Luv2DriveTT
11-18-2004, 01:29 AM
I have the book, but put it aside for now. If we do this group slowly... then count me in. Its first time for me!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MEbenhoe
11-18-2004, 03:00 AM
Just so you know our little book club we've been running in this forum has the SSHE read through planned for the same time. This one seemed to have a wide audience and I'd hate to clash with yours. Would you wanna postpone yours until after we're through SSHE so that people who want to participate in both can do so? If not that's your choice just wanted to point out this option.

nicky g
11-18-2004, 07:25 AM
How does a book group work?

Wynton
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I would like to be included in this please.

TomCollins
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
First, I don't mean to clash with your group idea. I wouldn't start mine until 2 weeks from now, to give everyone a chance to get the book.

Second, this book deals with NL, and SSHE deals with limit. I don't think there would be a huge conflict in who would be interested.

Third, your group could review this book later, since limit is usually a good practice for NL.

Ideally, if you are going to be doing this, I would like you to have at least a decent grasp of poker in general, and ideally have played some NL. If you are a limit player and are looking to transition, this is fine. The main thing I want to do is find the most important topics from each essay in the book, and make sure it is clear.

When is your SSHE book group going to be finished? I would like to start Jan 1 at the latest.

MEbenhoe
11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I don't mean to clash with your group idea. I wouldn't start mine until 2 weeks from now, to give everyone a chance to get the book.

Second, this book deals with NL, and SSHE deals with limit. I don't think there would be a huge conflict in who would be interested.

Third, your group could review this book later, since limit is usually a good practice for NL.

Ideally, if you are going to be doing this, I would like you to have at least a decent grasp of poker in general, and ideally have played some NL. If you are a limit player and are looking to transition, this is fine. The main thing I want to do is find the most important topics from each essay in the book, and make sure it is clear.

When is your SSHE book group going to be finished? I would like to start Jan 1 at the latest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I'm convinced, don't bother pushing yours back purely for that reason. I think you're actually probably right that most people won't be too conflicted over which one they'd want to read. So good luck with your group. I'll prob be reading along, as I'd definitely like to learn a thing or two about NL and PL play. I'm guessing you're pretty experienced at NL play, would you say that this book is the best one to get to learn how to play NL and PL better?

TomCollins
11-18-2004, 11:16 PM
I've heard it is (until the two new books come out). Super System is fairly good, but is easily beatable.

greg nice
11-18-2004, 11:38 PM
i want in.. PM me details

pokercode
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm in too. Please PM when ready. Thanks

soah
11-19-2004, 11:33 PM
How are you planning to do this? IRC?

SharkBait
11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I would like to participate. Just read the book last month but will read again. There was a fair amount that I questioned on my first read so I would love to hear what others think.

KowCiller
11-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I just got this book and barely cracked it open. I'd like to be involved as well.

Thanks,

KoW

TomCollins
11-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Posts on here. 1 per essay. As for the game section, we won't over it all (does anyone here care about london lowball?) We can try to cover the bigger games people actually play PL/NL (Omaha, Holdem mainly), but this can expand if other games are interesting to people.

1p0kerb0y
11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm in. Please let us know what the schedule is going to be so that we may plan accordingly.

johnnybeef
11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I'd like to be in, i just ordered it last night and am currently reading sshe and would like to do that group first as it would be more immediately profitable to me. keep me updated

spadeclub99
11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
I would like to be in, was actually just rereading the book this week. It is definately the best NL book out there for those with poker knowledge and some experience.

Jman28
11-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I want in. Please pm details

omahaChamp
11-24-2004, 12:16 AM
To all those who are thinking of buying the book you need to be aware of the following:
Ciaffione is a great writer, Reuben is a very nice person I have had the honour of meeting hin in person.
The book is an advanced book so for the majority of us it's one of the last books to buy and study you can probably get more out of studying Small Stakes HE or Lee Jones et al.
Also many different paoker games are covered. If you play Omaha, HE & Lowball all power to you. 15 pages on Hilo Split just a'nt enough. And do we need a study group for 13 pages of PLO (Excluding the quiz). The first 55 pages are a matter of style, by the time you are really ready for this book you should be an expert on that section anyhow.Analysing the hands and play in a $12,400 pot is way out of my league I think we would all agree that there is a difference in small to medium limits v the high limits this book is geared towards.
So if you have the book, play $100/$200 and play NLHE, PLHE, Omaha and Lowball then this group is for you

1p0kerb0y
11-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Here is a proposed schedule. I will leave it up to TomCollins to accept/decline/edit with, of course, everone else's input.

DECEMBER 1&2
1-Why Play Pot-Limit?
2-Comparing Pot-Limit to Limit
3-Poker's Ten Commandments
4-Your Playing Style

DECEMBER 3&4
5-How Deep are You?
6-How Much to Bet
7-Taking the Initiative
8-Drawing Hands

DECEMBER 5&6
9-Psychology
10-Reading the Opponent
11-The Art of Bluffing
12-Beating the Bully

DECEMBER 7
13-No Limit Play
14-All-In Coups

DECEMBER 8-9
15-Using the Material
16-Pot-Limit & No-Limit Hold'Em
17-Big Bet Hold'Em Quiz

DECEMBER 10-11
18-Pot-Limit Omaha
19-Pot-Limit Omaha Quiz

DECEMBER 12-13
20-Seven-Card Stud
21-Seven-Card Stud Quiz

Skip London Lowball Sections

DECEMBER 14-15
27-High-Low Split
28-High-Low Split Quiz
29-Strip Deck Poker

DECEMBER 16-17
30-Tournament Strategy
31-Shorthanded Play
32-Poker History
33-Business

DECEMBER 17-18
34-Pot-Limit Rules
35-Dealing Big-Bet Poker
36-The House Charge
37-Ethics and Courtesy

December 19-20
38-Cheating
39-Internet Poker
40-Probability Concepts
41-Figuring the Odds

Done before Christmas! What do you guys think? Too fast/slow? I tried to evenly distribute the material, and provided 2 day blocks because not everyone can participate on a day to day basis. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pastabatman
11-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Good pace (I think - haven't read the book yet). I'm just wondering if there is much interest in discussing anything other than the general stuff and holdEm-specific chapters. Are there a lot of Omaha/7CS/HiLo/StripDeck fans who plan to participate?

Pasta

allenciox
11-24-2004, 04:04 PM
I would like to participate... I recently re-read this book for the third time, I have gained something on each reading. I am not interested in the SSHE book, as I play no-limit exclusively.

TomCollins
11-24-2004, 04:17 PM
I like the schedule. Let's plan on it.

pastabatman
11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The book is an advanced book so for the majority of us it's one of the last books to buy and study you can probably get more out of studying Small Stakes HE or Lee Jones et al.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, are you saying don't bother with this book unless one is an accomplished limit player, and read all the limit texts? I tried limit, got all the books, got through WLLH and ITH, and just got very bored with actually playing the game. Tried some SNGs and other tournemants and had such a ball (not to mention made more $$$/hr), I can barely stand the thought of returning to limit-study.

[ QUOTE ]
So if you have the book, play $100/$200 and play NLHE, PLHE, Omaha and Lowball then this group is for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, I play Party $10/1 NL Hold'Em SNGs, don't even know how to play Omaha, etc. Guess this group isn't for me?

Pasta

TomCollins
11-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Please ignore idiotic trolls on this post please.

pastabatman
11-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Sorry - didn't realize he was a troll. Must be some real gold in this book if he's trying to scare us all off. ;-)

omahaChamp
11-24-2004, 07:24 PM
You might want to read Championship Satellite strategy by Mcevoy and the recent NLH by Mcevoy. He's a former WSOP NLHE champion. After you get throught the Ciaffione/Reuben book and my two recommendations u tell me who was right.

Thats the point there's a lot of info not related to NL. read some of my other posts. On this forum if someone has a contrary opion or speaks his mind you get put down. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

AngryCola
11-24-2004, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - didn't realize he was a troll. Must be some real gold in this book if he's trying to scare us all off. ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure he realizes it.

omahaChamp
11-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Yeh I would be interested in O8 and Hilo stud /images/graemlins/club.gif

omahaChamp
11-24-2004, 08:14 PM
There only one opinoin and thats yours. You are the ogre if I am a troll. I believe ogres are more ugly. lol /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pastabatman
11-25-2004, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to read Championship Satellite strategy by Mcevoy and the recent NLH by Mcevoy. He's a former WSOP NLHE champion. After you get throught the Ciaffione/Reuben book and my two recommendations u tell me who was right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will do. I already read NLH by McEvoy & Daugherty - a very good beginner book. Championship Satellite Strategy has been on my list for a while, but it's out of print (a new edition is coming out soon). But I'm hoping Harrington's book will make it superfluous.

Pasta

j0n_blayze
11-25-2004, 07:20 PM
i am interested definetly.