PDA

View Full Version : Question about play before the flop

TexasRig
11-17-2004, 11:40 PM
This may be a dumb question that everyone will answer differently but I am going to ask anyway. Is there a rule of thumb to follow when raising before the flop in the following situations.

Strong hand: AA KK QQ AK
Suited Connectors: 9s7s 10dJd 7c6c
Sitting in the BB with rags

Like I said this might be one of those questions that depends on the situation but in general how would you play these type hands before the flop. Be gentle this is my first post and thanks in advance for any commits.

La Brujita
11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
General rule:

Strong hands: You pretty much always raise for value (to get more money in the pot). Reasons you might not raise would include deception and hoping to get raised so you could reraise. Default is always raise or reraise. Three betting always with AA KK is the norm, QQ might be player depedent (but my default is three bets).

AKo you also raise to thin the field. AKs plays well multiway AKo does not.

Suited connectors you want to play cheap and hopefully in position. Default: never raise (especially online). The main two reasons you would raise would be (i) steal blinds from button (ii) deception. Since you play so many players online don't worry about deception. Of the three you mention only JTs would really be worth a button raise as a default play imo in a low stakes game.

You wouldn't be doing horribly mucking all three from early position (although I usually play JTs). General rule, not always true by any stretch, these hands might be profitable from any position if not raised preflop and you have 3 players seeing flop.

Rags in BB: fold to any raise. Button raises and co raises are met with more scrutiny since they may well be steals and you have to adjust your definition of rags in some cases.

If you have not read Small Stakes Holdem it might be worth your while to pick it up.

Reef
11-18-2004, 12:23 AM
In general, raise or reraise with AA KK AKs. Call raises or raise with AKo and QQ. Of course, this is all situational/table dependent. This doesn't mean I wouldn't cap the flop with Q's.

Raising with suited connectors from late position with many limpers is a good idea because these hands love multiway pots.

I pretty much don't raise from the BB with rags.