PDA

View Full Version : Blind steal hits the flop - $5/10 6-Max

JrJordan
11-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Fairly new to the 5-10 6-max scene, so I'm trying out a few things. Villain in this hand is pretty darn LAG (55/15), so I'm questioning whether my raise from the SB is +EV in the long run against this type of guy. He'll most likely call the last $5 about 80% of the time as a general guideline.

Party Poker 5/10 (6 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is SB

Button folds, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls

<font color="blue"> The three bet obviously has me worried. Haven't been at the table too long, but he hasn't made any resteal attempts yet when the play gets shorthanded. I plan on getting out quick if I miss the flop. </font>

Flop(6 SB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls

<font color="blue"> Due to his LAG tendencies, I was sure he'd bet out here even if he missed. Hitting TP makes me think my hand could certainly be good, so I check/call intending to checkraise on the turn. Is this a bad line to take against a LAG? </font>

Turn(4 BB): 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls

<font color="blue"> If he happened to 3-bet here, I'd probably call and then call down the river unimproved. Against a more passive player I think I could lay it down to the three bet. </font>

River(8 BB): Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls

<font color="blue"> His call of the checkraise on the turn has me confident that my K is good, so I bet out once again. I obviously can't call his river raise, so I call down from there. </font>

Comments on all streets appreciated. I'll post a few more hands and results for this one after a few responses. Thanks.

JrJordan

JrJordan
11-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Anyone?

Scotch78
11-18-2004, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I obviously can't call his river raise, so I call down from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typo?

I think you'll see a pair of queens fairly often here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he thought you were bluffing the turn when the board paired.

Scott

JrJordan
11-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Sorry about the typo, was supposed to read I cannot 3-bet his raise... what do you think about the line before the river though?

JrJordan
11-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Not too many responses, maybe people are waiting for results. Turns out villain has QQ and spiked his set on the river. I think the river play is pretty straightforward though. I'm more interested in whether:
a) The blind steal from the SB is good here with a hand like K8o
b) The best line to take is by checkraising the turn against the LAG. The only other line I can think of would be to bet straight into him, and 3 bet a raise. If he continues to show aggression I MIGHT be able to get out, but his laggish tendencies would probably make me want to call him down. So where should I show aggression, on the flop or the turn?

michfan
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
a) I don't like the steal attempt

b) I like the turn checkraise

PokerNoob
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
I would steal this all day long with K8o. I like the turn checkraise against the 3-betting BB here. When he calls the turn c/r, I put him on some decent pocket pair, or maybe a good Ax of spades. The river raise doesn't look good for you, but he may do this often enough with something like AQ or a bluff that you've got to call down.

Benjamin
11-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Haven't read the results yet ...

I like the raise preflop. If he'll call with 80% of his hands, then that is money in your pocket. If he'll fold 20% of his hands, then that's 20% that he can't catch a pair on the flop to beat you with.

When you hit top pair on the flop then I wouldn't worry about anything besides getting a bunch of bets in. I'd bet out, expect to be raised and I'd three-bet. I'd lead from there on out. Also a fine line would be to checkraise the flop, expecting to be 3-bet. Then you can go for the turn checkraise if you want, or you can go ahead and cap and lead the turn.

Waiting for the turn to checkraise will cost you money because 1) you can get lots of bets in without being so tricky 2) sometimes he'll check behind on the turn when he has real trash. 3) When you do checkraise the turn after you took the line you did, then he'll sometimes smell a biggish hand and not payoff the raise.

Play it fast from the start, he'll put you on missed overcards and try to blow you off them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus when a lot of bets go in on the flop then he'll get tied to the pot and won't be able to fold the later streets.

B.