PDA

View Full Version : Playing AJ and AQ?

10-04-2001, 01:38 AM
Rookie help needed on playing AQ and AJ...

Shorthanded or late in the tournament seems more straightforward, ie you can be (fairly) aggressive with these hands. But what about early on, when the blinds are still small?

Am not sure whether I should put in a small raise to stop blinds flopping two rag pair, or if this is pointless and just gives the strength of my hand away. Early on, should I always just call with them (presuming no huge raises)? Obviously position (as ever) matters, and how many callers - if I'm in late position and there are a few callers I'll just limp, but if it's folded to me in, say, middle position, I might put a small raise in. Basically not sure at all how to play these!

Also, post flop - say there are 3 more players in, and I flop top 2 pair - how do u bet? This happened last night, flopped aces and jacks, but there were 2 hearts on board so was concerned about flush and straight coming up on turn so put in reasonably big bet (not massive) and everyone just folded to me. Should I risk the draws to get more out of the pot, if there isnt a lot in it already? I mean, if the pot is tiny I probably will just make a small bet...

Any solutions to my confusion gratefully received!

10-04-2001, 06:43 AM
I can't solve anything definitively because as usual it depends :-).

A few thoughts anyway : AQ is a lot better than AJ (and AK is miles better than both). It's quite common for me to play, even raise, with AQ and fold AJ in the same position. What you actually do really depends how likely it is for your opponents to call with AJ (when you have AQ), AT, KQ, KJ etc. If people do tend to call a raise with this kind of hand you can often go ahead and raise.

I don't like to put in small raises with any hand unless I have a specific reason for doing so, and these are not good hands to raise small with. Don't worry about giving away the strength of your hand, if anything a raise is deceptive because you really don't have very much until you see the flop !

Post flop is just too dependent on your opponents to say. Betting and everyone folds is better than checking and letting someone beat you, and in the smaller UK tournaments you will usually get some customers, but it depends.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

10-05-2001, 07:12 AM
AQ and AJ are best when you are 1st to act. A substantial raise (3 or 4 times the big blind) is generally in order. There is nothing wrong with just picking up the blinds here as you still have no pair until the flop. Once 1 or 2 people have enterred the hand, a raise is only giving them more value to call and you may be behind. If someone has already enterred for a raise, against many good players, a fold is in order. Position is important on following streets but what happened before it got to you is just as important.

As far as how to play a hand likes Aces and Jacks, I'd maybe go for a smaller bet (depending on the players) ONLY if the board was a rainbow, with no real straight cards connected. If the flop is 2 of a suit or A,10,J - A,J,Q etc. or even A,J,9 I'll move much more into the pot to keep the draws out and try to win it fast.

Keep playing hard!

10-05-2001, 01:47 PM
I agree with the comments of Andy/Glen.

In early position I tend to raise with AQ but I have learnt the hard way that mucking AJ is probably the best play. If AJ is suited I may limp in if my stack can handle it.

In middle position I usually will raise with AJ assuming no limpers. With limpers I may raise/call/fold depending on who the limpers are. I rarely will call a raise with AJ or AQ although it depends on who raised.

Ken Poklitar

10-07-2001, 01:13 AM