PDA

View Full Version : Why Tivo?

Blarg
11-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Are there any good PC-based or non-subscription alternatives to Tivo?

Is ReplayTV, whatever that is, better or worse than Tivo? and why? Can you easily record and burn DVD's with stuff you get from Tivo or similar products/services?

Any answers or opinions for someone who has never had a Tivo or anything similar?

BusterStacks
11-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Whatever TiVo charges is worth it. If this is the only advice you ever listen to from me, believe me when I say that TiVo is one of those things that your only regret would be not getting it sooner.

Blarg
11-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah, but how does it compare to the other options? Is it radically better than ReplayTV or whatever else is out there? Cheaper, easier, somehow more powerful, whatever?

I don't have cable, by the way. Do you need cable to use it, or can you just plug it in to your regular t.v.?

Alobar
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but how does it compare to the other options? Is it radically better than ReplayTV or whatever else is out there? Cheaper, easier, somehow more powerful, whatever?

I don't have cable, by the way. Do you need cable to use it, or can you just plug it in to your regular t.v.?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, if you dont have cable you don't need Tivo, or any such device. Hell you don't even need to be watching TV cuz the local channells carry nothing but [censored].

maryfield48
11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Buster,

Tivo isn't available here. Should I still get a DV recorder? If so, do I need a hard drive model or is recording to Discs sufficient?

Blarg
11-18-2004, 03:05 AM
I watch PBS, not local or national channels, except for the odd Simpsons or 60 minutes or Conan O'Brien show. I'm definitely not a t.v. fiend, but very frequently there are two really good documentaries at once on PBS that aren't repeated and I'll never have a chance to see again -- and that I wouldn't mind recording to DVD too, if I could. It would be cool at least to watch one while recording the other, and not miss out.

wacki
11-18-2004, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any good PC-based or non-subscription alternatives to Tivo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have a Hauppauge PVR-250 and I love it. It records video in real time at DVD quality using only about 5% of my CPU. Combine it with SageTV (or similar program), zoomplayer, winamp and Firefly remote and you have everything you need in one neat little box.

HTPC's rock.

astroglide
11-18-2004, 12:38 PM
several people in my office have HTPCs for hdtv along with regular tivos. they're buying hd tivos now that they're available because they find the interface/usability that much better.

Blarg
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
What does HTPC stand for? Hauppage Television Personal Computer? I'm out of the loop on most of what all this stuff is about.

I did go to Newegg last night and look up "PVR" though. I found only a few brands, mostly internal Hauppage cards but with greatly differing prices, and it was very hard to tell why one was $100 more than the other. Some units said what resolution they went up to, some didn't, etc. It feels like buying one over another would really be just crossing my fingers and taking a shot in the dark.

astroglide
11-18-2004, 09:20 PM
home theater pc. google for htpc, then htpc and tivo together (along with words like comparison or vs)

B Dids
11-18-2004, 10:56 PM
So I just got an ATI All-In Wonder Card for like 200 bucks. As far as I can tell, the software that it comes will does similar ninja [censored] to Tivo. Why are folks sprung on Tivo when you can do the same kinda stuff on a PC?

Blarg
11-18-2004, 11:37 PM
That's sort of what I was wondering. Paying by the month and having my viewing habits circulated throughout the world sounds pretty sucky to me.

But maybe ease of use really is the main thing.

I'm just out of the loop on all this stuff and it looks like it will take a decent amount of research to figure it all out, much less begin to compare the alternatives sensibly. And I'm frankly not sure t.v. is worth either the research or the money.

I am curious, though -- for tivo owners, do you have any problems recording shows to DVD? Need any extra equipment or software from what comes with? (Assuming you already have a DVD recorder on your PC.)